cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Huawei y6 prepaid dual sim feature disabled without notice

I purchased an Optus Huawei Y6 prepaid phone from a large retailer expecting it to have the features advertised by Huawei. I specifically chose this model because it was in the price range I was looking for, had dual SIM standby and the mobile frequency bands I wanted.

When I went to install the SIM cards I discovered the second SIM tray slot was blocked. I called Optus tech support who assured me that the Y6 was definitely a dual SIM phone and that I should speak to the manufacturer Huawei about any issues. I was transferred to Huawei, whose representative told me that the prepaid Y6 was supplied to Optus specification with the 2nd SIM position disabled. I once again called Optus tech support who assured me with certainty that the phone was dual SIM, that the Huawei representative was mistaken and that I needed to return the phone to the retailer. I spoke to the retailer who confirmed that the Optus supplied phone was on fact a single-SIM version and that there was nothing wrong with the phone. I again spoke with Optus support who again insisted it was a dual SIM phone and transferred me to sales. Optus sales agreed the phone was supplied to Opus with the dual-SIM function disabled. I was transferred to Optus Customer Care, who insisted the phone was a dual SIM phone and if I wasn't happy with it to return it to the retailer.

All up, I've spent about 8 hours running around and on the phone, only  to be repeatedly given conflicting information and the the brush off by Optus telling me to demand a refund from the retailer. Needelss to say, I am very annoyed and believe I have a right to have the product that was offered by Optus with the features advertised by the manufacturer. I believe I have the right to be compensated for the time wasted to discover I had been repeatedly given false and misleding information.

Cany anyone shed some light on this situation and suggest a reasonable way forward?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Huawei y6 prepaid dual sim feature disabled without notice

Did the retailer advertise it as dual sim?

The Huawei website for Aus mentions a Single and double sim version - each has its own model number.

https://consumer.huawei.com/au/support/phones/y6-2018/

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Huawei y6 prepaid dual sim feature disabled without notice

Thanks for your response.

The retailer advertised an identical looking and named unlocked Huawei Y6 2018 as dual sim phone, I had no reason to think the Optus prepaid version would have different specifications. I also called Optus tech support to double check; they informed me  that the Optus branded Y6 was certainly a  dual sim phone.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors