cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Huawei Spying Concerns

Hey guys,

I have been keeping track of the news and how Huawei has been banned from the assisting in developing the NBN and also from the 5G upgrades plans in Australia.

Now for those using a Huawei Mate 10 Pro phones or any other Huawei products Optus sells (Great phone by the way) and have concerns that our data is being shared with external or internal government agencies without our concent, how will Optus address this concern with its customers?

As a consumer and a customer, do I have the legal right to ask for a handset replacement for that peace of mind? (I do love using my Mate 10 Pro but I'm very concerned about my personal information and personal data just like everyone else)

Cheers guys,

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Re: Huawei Spying Concerns

This is much bigger than Optus. No one really know which phone have what monitoring code or hardward build in. Most phones are made in China. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

That's true and most others are probably spying too but they arent being investigated by our federal government like Huawei is.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I think the issues that concern the Oz government are much more low level than tracking Australians Facebook accounts. The ban is aimed at the backend equipment which might be shut down remotely or send data undetected. 

That said, Optus are not selling the more recent Huwai handset models so possibly you have an answer there. 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I'm not too concerned about Facebook and the such as I hardly use those social media apps and don't have them installed on my phone anyways. I'm mostly concerned about like you said the handset itself sending my persoanl info and data to third party government organization overseas without my concent. 

I think Optus and Huawei need to make a statement to put our minds at ease. #justsaying

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

FWIW Huwei have consistently stated there is no issue

Optus no longer stock Huawei so the issue isn't relevent now for them.

"Peace of Mind"isn't a sufficient reson to justify refunds etc. But if there is a definitive report of any phones official hardware or software sending personal data to unauthorised people then that would be another story.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors