cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
OKRobbo
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Huawei B818 - DO NOT update to latest firmware 10.0.5.2!!

I too have had this issue. My B818 "mysteriously" started dropping out - typically 2-3 times per day as described. Notwithstanding the various Optus moderators who have weighed in with comments, getting hold of someone at Optus who is able to help with this seems impossible. My last attempt I got a very helpful local support person who concluded that my location was now no longer available for LTE Home Broadband and that cell coverage (near non-existent) in my central Inner-West suburb was poorly serviced by Optus. I only have Optus 4G as a political statement against the NBN (who, remarkably, still haven't installed in our building). Looks like the telcos are the same as ever... useless. I would love to bring this to the attention of the support teams at Optus but my attempts to message via the my Optus app resulted in an hour of sporadic response with the result being that, "they don't manage support for Home Broadband and to call a 13-number". Can't wait for one of the emerging telcos to offer 5G - come on guys!

0 Kudos
Dev66
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Robbo,

Yes, everything you describe is familiar. Here's what I've found:

1. The area that 4G is being offered is shrinking daily. If they can get you to swap over to their NBN offering or 5G offering then the profit is more. The 4G 500GB was almost a loss leader for them (no loss though, I expect). So, the towers in my area haven't changed but the month after NBN was available in my area then the 4G wasn't offered for new customers. NBN is pointless for me because it FTTN and I'm > 7km from the exchange. 50mbps is my theoretical maximum on nbn (but likely 10mbps is likely my best). I get 100mbps on 4G on a good day.
  2. Optus eventually gave me a new modem without the 10.0.5.2 firmware. It asks for me to upgrade almost daily (no way to turn off the upgrade nag), but it doesn't drop out. I had to buy the new modem and Optus said they would reimburse the money on my account with a credit. It had to do with the store (obviously a franchise) not allowing anyone to leave without paying for the modem  - they quite rightly didn't trust Optus to pay them....
  3. Optus debited my account for $211 instead of crediting it! They agree they can see on the forms that I was meant to have this credited to my account, but they need me to go back to the store to get the store manager to write on my account that I was given the modem and paid for it (massive circle of responsibility). On the internals it just said I was given the modem and doesn't say I paid for it.
  4. The more pertinent issue: I can recreate the scenario on the new modem, but only if I want to do so which may give a clue to the problem. I have a MESH setup and turn off the wifi on the modem. I have a 5 port and 8 port switch attached - through which the mesh is connected. If I connect two of the mesh units to the ethernet (as opposed to just one) then I get exactly the same issue as before. The access request from two of them seems to fry the logic of the firmware.

Best for now,

Helmerson
Contributor
Contributor

I quote from the previous contibutor "Optus eventually gave me a new modem without the 10.0.5.2 firmware. It asks for me to upgrade almost daily (no way to turn off the upgrade nag), but it doesn't drop out."

Well - doesn't that tell all - beyond any doubts - that the last firmware update is seriously flawed, and yet after all this time, still nothing from Optus to help us!

Which is just a reminder that we are not customers they value, just money bringers! Unfortunately, this attitude is common in this industry. A friend once said "put Telstra, Optus and the NBN into a hessian sack and kick it, you will always kick the right one..."

0 Kudos
tekjim
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

So I just found this website which purportedly has older firmware versions. Does someone know which would be the correct file before I consider paying for this?

https://easy-firmware.com/index.php?a=downloads&b=folder&id=48332
0 Kudos
RandyJ
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

My 500GB plan started out getting over 100mbps download at not busy times.
It has slowly degraded over time.
I thought it was due to more people probably using the network working from home etc. could get a Max of 30mbps.
I decided to test another Optus sim in the modem.
I swapped the sim in the exact same spot and boom, back to full speed.
I believe Optus have been throttling my service...
0 Kudos
Nard_YC

@RandyJ, we don't throttle Wireless Broadband services. If you tested another SIM in the device and got better speeds, it could be that the current SIM may be faulty. I'd recommend heading to your closest Optus store with 100pts of ID and requesting a SIM replacement as this may resolve your speed degradation issues. 

You can always check our Network Status Page for any issues in your area and also try some of our troubleshooting steps for 4G Wireless Internet

If you're needing further assistance with your service, we recommend Messaging us via the My Optus app.

Our Messaging team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible.

If for some reason you’re unable to use the My Optus app, please send a private message to the official Optus Facebook page or Twitter page for further assistance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

Helmerson
Contributor
Contributor

Looks very dodgy to me, I wouldn't trust any download from such a source, let alone pay for it! While it shows the 10.0.5.2 WEBUI as a download, and also the matching version firmware, one does not know what is in it. Spyware? Potentially open your modem to some perhaps fraudulent individuals? And even it it was a 'clean' firmware, for which provider would it be? Voda, Optus, or non-branded?

In my view best to stay well clear of it, better to put up with the devil we know!

0 Kudos
digitizernz1
Contributor
Contributor

I tend to agree on the firmware site. Been there myself and had a bad vibe.

Dave-P
Contributor
Contributor

Hi tekjim -

That easy-firmware.com site you mentioned, has a facebook page with a contact phone number that has a +964 country code. That's Iraq.  Odd, they also label themselves a "Local business".

tekjim
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks all I'll give that website a miss.

Now if only the moderators (who evidently do read the forum), will offer a real solution to this problem.
Top Contributors