cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Dev66
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Huawei B818 - DO NOT update to latest firmware 10.0.5.2!!

OK - I got somewhere with Optus last Sunday (I have the same issue but it happens every couple of minutes - Internet redirects to the Huawei modem login page, which is useless).

I got through to an Optus engineer on Sunday who spoke with his boss. He said that this is a known issue with the Huawei 818 modem and firmware 10.0.5.2. It is caused because the modem is going looking for a 5G connection and is dropping the 4G connection to do so. No handshake - no internet. In areas without 5G connections or where there's not a 5G plan, this screws-up the modem.

The only workaround for now is a new modem until Huawei release a new firmware. For some reason they are not allowing people to revert back to the previous versions (notably 10.0.2.2).

They organised a new modem to be delivered to me by Wednesday - which didn't occur. Turns out no one made any notes on the call. They now have no notes on their system that I was ever meant to be sent one and I'm back at step 1 again with customer support. So, currently paying for internet that I can't access, like the rest of you, but waiting for Optus to get back to me.

So, there you are. It's caused by 5G. Finally a real reason to complain about 5G. 😉

0 Kudos
Helmerson
Contributor
Contributor

How can the Huawei B818 modem look for 5G bands, it is technically not possible! It is only compatible with 4G/LTE frequency bands. Someone at Optus told you a tall story...!
0 Kudos
digitizernz1
Contributor
Contributor

Have to agree with @Helmerson here. The Huawei B818-263 is a 4G/LTE device only. As for the firmware, I contacted Huawei and Optus and a rollback to firmware 10.0.2.2 is not possible and not available for download. Which is frustrating. Getting a replacement modem may not solve the firmware issue as they may now be updated themselves. Make sure you have the correct APN set as well. It's either 'LTEBROADBAND', which I believe it defaults to, or, as I have been told on many occasions by the Optus Chat person, CONNECTLTE. Your system profile in Optus needs to match this APN.

0 Kudos
tekjim
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Surely the technician who blamed it on 5G and offered to replace the modem was taking the p*ss out of the customer.

My view is Optus don't have a solution and they will just send you around in circles until you go away.

It is a Huawei problem.  

Mine was OK for a month or so, but now has started doing it again more regularly maybe once or twice a week. Sometimes twice in a day.

So far have not been able to find a download link for the old firmware.  Nor do I know if it's possible to install an older firmware if I could even find the file.

0 Kudos
Dev66
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi - I'm trying to reply to you to give more info, but for some reason there's a word in the text that the forum doesn't like and tells me to remove the highlighted text - but nothing is highlighted. Does anything at Optus work? I can pm you it and see if you can post it?

0 Kudos
tekjim
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I'd say it is the 4 letter word starting with p that the forum doesn't like!!!

0 Kudos
Dev66
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

the only 4 letter word was arse, and when I removed that it still didn't send.
0 Kudos
Jack_YC

Hey @Dev66, if you did want to send our team a private message, you can reach us via our Facebook or Twitter pages. You can also reach us by sending a message through the My Optus App

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
Dev66
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

let's try this.... letter p might be the problem ....

How I figured it was that Huawei made a group firmware with a load of if...then... lines to separate the different models. The B818 model doesn't do 5G but I figured they just got one of the if...then... wrong. But he could have been trying to just get me off the line and take the p while he's doing it. I'm always polite on these voice calls so he'd have to be a bit of an arse to do that.

I was on their "message us" line for 1.5 hours yesterday with 9 minute pauses between my message and their response each time. End message was that a case manager will reply in 24 hours. I'll keep you updated, but thank goodness I have a vodafone mobile so I can hot spot. Been doing that since last Friday.

If anyone gets a new modem change the update to manual and don't update!

0 Kudos
Dev66
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

You were correct tekjim. I hadn't noticed you had asterisked the p word. :ThumbsUp

0 Kudos