cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Helmerson
Contributor
Contributor

Huawei B818 - DO NOT update to latest firmware 10.0.5.2!!

Just did the update from version 10.0.2.2(H190SP5C74) to 10.0.5.2 two days, ago as the modem kept nagging "new update". Since then I had 4 network drop-outs from which it does not recover, unless reset or changing from one APN to another.

Note: before the update the connection was rocky steady, IT IS NOT a signal strength or signal quality issue, but a new introduced bug as part of their quoted "performance enhancements".

Should have known better as a long-time electronics engineer and programmer: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!".

Would like to downgrade again but no firmware links to be found anywhere, or does somebody know a link?

Tags (3)
85 Replies
Tigers1719
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Huawei B818 - DO NOT update to latest firmware 10.0.5.2!!

@Helmerson I updated and have had no issues. No posts on Whirlpool so far.  

I am an Optus user.
0 Kudos
Helmerson
Contributor
Contributor

Quite possible because most users have different setups and different network conditions. In my specific case the B818 is locked to B40 only. This gives me the best overall result. No changes other than the firmware update.
0 Kudos
AndrewC1
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@HelmersonCheck the bands to see what is locked after the upgrade as it may have reset back to auto instead of leaving just B40 enabled as the latest has allot of new bands available in the list in LTEHMonitor.

Have  a look in the following thread for the updated drop down list:

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony/B818-Firmware-update/m-p/627575

It could also be that the tower has a faulty B40 (I connect to a tower Croydon Park NSW that had a faulty B40 for almost three months in Q2 2020 and it B40 has not been 100% stable over the last two weeks.

Good luck in fixing your issue.

Dave-P
Contributor
Contributor

Just to agree, it probably lost the B40 lock during the firmware upgrade.

0 Kudos
Helmerson
Contributor
Contributor

@AndrewC1 Thanks for the suggestions, B40 is locked, not on AUTO band select.

Tower on B40 is not faulty, timing of failures (2 more since initial posting) coincides with last firmware update.

Hello OPTUS/HUAWEI !!! I want to opt out of this release and roll back to the previous firmware. Version 10.0.5.2 has rendered a perfectly working modem useless as I need to have reliable remote access to my home network, which is now broken.

Please provide a link for the old firmware! I am not an amateur and I can state with absolute 100% certainty this new firmware has introduced new problems, therefore I strongly advice people, DO NOT upgrade to this release!!

0 Kudos
Kartika

HI @Helmerson, the firmware upgrade is from the manufacturer. You can contact the manufacturer directly → here  alternatively speak with our support team either via the →  messaging service or by calling them on 131344 - Mon - Fri: 8am - 8pm Sat: 9am - 5pm AEST to assist you further. 

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Helmerson
Contributor
Contributor

@Kartika Thanks for your suggestion regarding contacting the Huawei forum. I did try to post my issue there, but it required me to first join up, and by doing so, forced me to go through too many hoops for my comfort. Giving my email during registration to confirm my identity was ok, so I received their security code back via email which I then entered, but in the next step they also wanted my mobile number for another identity check! Really? You need my email AND my mobile phone number to join a forum? Having worked for many years in IT and networking, I don't give all my personal details to Chinese data miners cloaked as manufacturer support.

As for your 2nd suggestion to open a messaging chat with Optus support: if OPTUS knew of this issue they should provide a public acknowledgement and the option to return to the previous firmware. If they don't know of this issue then what point is there to spend endless time on a semi-automated chat, where - based on previous experience - technical problems of this level hardly ever find a satisfactory outcome.

I am not asking for impossible things - just give me the old firmware back until this issue is resolved. In fact, most manufacturers allow to backup the current firmware to a file before doing an update. Why is this not offered by Huawei?

And for what it is worth, the new firmware has a few other oddities I don't think are a good idea: one of them is, whenever the network connection drops out, any attempts to connect to the Internet, from any client of the local network, drops the user into the admin login page of the modem. Not really helpful to my family members, and almost looks like a precautionary new measure - when things go wrong with the modem, default to the admin login page. I don't like this new firmware at all!

0 Kudos
Helmerson
Contributor
Contributor

Update: since my initial posting there have now been a total of 7 network disconnects (without automatically recovering). Yesterday I set the band selection to AUTO (instead of being locked to B40), which made the modem select B7. In the past this band did not give good results in my location, but with automatic CA together with other bands it actually brought a remarkable speed improvement! Well, I thought, I shall leave it in AUTO now since it seems to give even better throughput than if locked to B40. However, this morning, less than 12 hours later, I had another network disconnect. On reflection, occasional disconnects did also happen with the 10.0.2.2 firmware version, but in that case the modem gracefully recovered by automatically re-connecting again. With the new 10.0.5.2 release the modem just stays offline until manual intervention. When that happens, any user within the local network trying to connect to a website will be greeted by the Huawei admin login page! How convenient....!?

0 Kudos
Helmerson
Contributor
Contributor

Workaround update: since no response from OPTUS other than an automated robot message "Did we answer your question? Don't forget to mark your topic as SOLVED", which of course it is NOT, I have devised a work-around. I need reliable modem operation to be able to monitor IP cameras and remote control a sprinkler system, which with the latest firmware has been broken. So I used an old Aldi/Bauhn Wifi powerpoint switch, knocked up a shell script on my NAS, which runs 24/7, which in turn monitors Internet connectivity every 2 minutes, and if not available, does a hard reset of the B818 modem via a power off/on cycle using the Wifi switch. Works well, so while I am not happy with the current firmware, I am with my own handywork 🙂
0 Kudos
Top Contributors