Searching...

Mobile

Re: Unlock Your Prepaid Mobile Phone or Device

Kenny42

So I guess staff here don't have to follow T and C or guide lines?

Highlighted

Kenny42

So if you bought a Optus locked mobile from say Target, it would be impossible to unlock it?

[ Edited ]
Kenny42

I guess Optus Staff don't know or don't want to help?

Oh well their lost, my gain as I have a recent mobile that I can use for a Boost Sim, without wasting my time TRYING and I do TRYING to unlocked a Optus Mobile.

Derick888

I'm having a similar problem.

I'm suspecting that it's not even Optus' fault, more or less.

I purchased my phone directly from an Optus store, used up the small amount of free credit with the supplied SIM, then switched to TPG and ported my old number. When they ask for my mobile number, I enter this number. But of course it's not really an Optus phone number. When I look up the network on the phone, it says TPG, not Optus. But TPG don't have an unlocking facility; they're not a real network, they are a "virtual provider" or whatever the correct term is. So after the looong series of questions (including the capchas from hell; I failed about 4 of them in a row, and had to switch to audio versions), I got the dreaded error "This mobile device is not a locked Optus prepaid mobile device".

The other problem could be that I said it was in continuous use for 6 months or more. It was. But with TPG, not Optus. I'm still using the Optus network, still paying Optus for my access, just it goes through TPG because the big three don't offer competitive plans. So maybe they are thinking in effect I've only had a week of pure-Optus use of the phone, so I'm eligible to pay the $80 fee rather than the $25 fee. Bear in mind that I'm a low usage customer; many months my phone costs be one dollar. (Last November it was over $20, a big cost for me; I was stuck in hospital.) So $80 is ludicrous to me. Even $25 is a hell of a fee, but I'm prepared to pay that to try out the Vodafone 4G network. I have an LG Leon, 1 year old, which is 4G capable, but I've never had 4G (TPG didn't have it with their arrangement with Optus; maybe that's part of the reason they're switching to Vodafone).

Anyone know what the story is? I tried ringing Optus's 13 number for prepaid support, and eventually it gave me something about an offer at offer.optus.com.au/tpg; this link redirected to a generic page; when I did a search it gave me a bad link. Soon after that, it played loud static into the phone. Sort of lke an electronic version of a raspberry. I was so impressed. I haven't tried again. It happens to be Saturday night, I think I'll have to wait till Monday for the privilege of talking to a human in India perhaps, after waiting for hours. Why can't all this be spelled out on the Optus web site?

Shae

Hey Derick888, your assessment of the locked phone situation is pretty spot on. We do offer phones with some included value as a part of starting a new Pre-Paid service with us, however these phones are locked to Optus. You'd need to have purchased a certain number of Optus recharges before the fee would drop down. If you're not wanting to pay the $80 fee, you may need to look for an option to get a handset through your current provider or one that is already unlocked. If you had any other questions for us about your Optus phone, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

YvesM

Optus you are a bunch of Thieves and Liars ....

JustinB

I can see Phil has responded back to your other post here offering assistance @YvesM

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Nokia_e63

I have recently purchased a nokia e63 which i think is locked to optus it says sim card not valid when i put my telstra sim in. I was wondering if the $80 unlock fee still applies with such an old phone?

AlexRH

Heya @Nokia_e63! Yeah, you would need to unlock the device if it was purchased prior to the 3rd of September, 2012 - but there shouldn't be a fee.

You can find all the info on unlocking your device HERE Smiley Happy 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Nokia_e63

Thankyou 😁

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
81 Kudos
75 Kudos
70 Kudos
58 Kudos
44 Kudos