Searching...

Mobile Products & Network

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

How to opt out of having my anonymous data shared with 3rd parties

user108

Today I contacted Optus via a chat to opt out of having my anonymous (?) data shared with third parties.

This is a direct quote from the chat, when I asked how can I opt out:

"

Vera 09:29 AM
Click on the Mobile phone service you'd like to edit or review
Click on Premium SMS Spend Control from Settings menu (you will be advised that this link will now take you to the Mobile Zoo portal)
Click on Subscriptions & Transactions from Mobile Self Care dashboard
Vera 09:30 AM
Click on Transactions from Mobile Self Care dashboard
Move the slider to your desired spend limit

"

This is by no means obvious or even re-assuring. There is no confirmation whatsoever. The whole things is hidden under misleading settings etc.

I will be reporting this to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman!

Ps. Not only Optus charges us subscription fees, they also sell or otherwise monitise the data they gather about us. This is disgusting!

Solution

Re: How to opt out of having my anonymous data shared with 3rd parties

user108

I found it. It is well hidden

My account > Profile > General marketings > insights

You can change other marketing preferences here too!!!

Riversong

I have been trying to change my settings in marketing opt out but it won't allow me to save my preferences

Lizard43

Having the same problem. definitely opt put procedure is well hidden

Riversong

I had to contact customer service to opt out. Did this via online chat. No explanation as to why unable to save preferences.

Calypso

I also jumped on my account so I could opt out of it. I followed the links and it was no where to be found, just took me to my account and i've searched for ages. It seems very deceitful and makes me think much much less of optus as a company. I still can't find how to opt out!

Calypso

Thank you, I've spent ages trying to find it. Feels very sly of them

user108

Optus is just following the model of ITC industry where the "consumer as the product", meaning they monetise the data they gather. Check out fazebook as the grandmaster of this trend...

Also Optus is also recording our web browsing history. To protect your privacy we have to use Virtual Private Networking (VPN). There is a bit of info on VPN providers:
https://arstechnica.com/security/2016/06/aiming-for-anonymity-ars-assesses-the-state-of-vpns-in-2016...

or you can "roll your own":

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/05/how-to-build-your-own-vpn-if-youre-rightfully-wary-of-commer...

Judo

It is not really offered, I agree. The  fact that this 'opting out' is so well hidden, makes me determined to do it. Counter-productive, Optus!!

Not transparent, to say the least. It should be offered as a single click choice if in fact, a genuine choice. 

MJT

I entirely agree. I have been going quietly nuts attempting to find some way of doing what Optus claimed I can do, which is opt out of havingmy personal data appropriated by them for whatvere purpose they choose. Guys, that is NOT anything to do with repsectng privact, and certainly amounts to lying through your teeth when claiming to respect both the principle and the fact. I'm headedfor the TIO, too.

And by the way, when you choose to actually deliver the broadband speeds you claim to, you might get a little of the respect you deny your customers.

Post a Reply
Introducing the Optus Business Care hub

Here you’ll find a complete suite of help and support exclusively for our small and medium business customers. Read More

Top Contributors
31 Kudos
27 Kudos
26 Kudos
17 Kudos
12 Kudos