Searching...

Mobile

How to mirror Netflix/Stan etc. from an S8 to a TV/Projector, while still using free streaming?

Sethgun

Hi all,

This is my first post and yesterday, received my Galaxy S8. My plan is the $85 flex (also with student discont), with 12Gb data allowance and unlimited streaming of Sports, Radio and TV (obviously a select few, but includes Netflix, Stan iheartradio and sports).

From what I understand, in order to not use my 12Gb towards these streaming services, I need to watch them on my device via their respective apps. Thats fine. The pain is, the student accomodation im in atm has no ports free in the local area, so I still dont have an adsl2/nbn connection. I also dont have a TV, but a home theatre projector (go figure).

What I'm wanting to know and confused about, is a way to be able to mirror my S8 display (netflix app, Stan, homescreen, Office utilities etc.) to my Projector input and watch some of that included streaming content to a bigger screen. I have a few hdmi ports free, but not sure about the method. I thought Chromecast would be the way to go as its a wireless hdmi connection, but Was told over the phone last week (Optus rep) that "terms and conditions state...." it would be using data from my 12Gb plan.

I've never used Chromecast and only looked at it for its convenience of connection, but I wouldve thought simply mirroring my s8 display/app on the S8 to an external monitor wouldnt be using any data, apart from the S8 streaming service.?

Is anyone able to explain why/why not this would/would not work?

Also, any alternatives to what I'm wanting? I just wanted to use those free streaming services on a larger screen, without biting into my 12Gb data allowance p/month (or any other data allowance for that matter) until I'm able to get a proper wired connection to the property.

Thank you in advance! Man Happy

Re: How to mirror Netflix/Stan etc. from an S8 to a TV/Projector, while still using free streaming?

Sethgun

Re: How to mirror Netflix/Stan etc. from an S8 to a TV/Projector, while still using free streaming?

Sethgun

Anyone?

[ Edited ]
ivanterrible

I always bring MHL (Micro USB to HDMI cable) for holiday. Please see link below

http://www.alltech.com.au/en/cables-adaptors-/405-micro-usb-to-hdmi-cable-adapter-hdtv-for-samsung-g...

I use Galaxy S5 and enable mirroring after. I put my phone in flight mode (disable mobile data) then activate wireless and connect this MHL device directly from phone to LCD TV HDMI.

Or you can use miracast dongle (only try it on LCD TV not projector), again you have to put the phone in flight mode to disable mobile data.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
154 Kudos
128 Kudos
96 Kudos
94 Kudos
76 Kudos