cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

How to add extra data

I’m on a 50GB monthly Optus plan but will need more data in the short term as I’m working from home. Are there any offers (eg. option to double monthly data for double the monthly cost over the next month or two) that can be offered during the COVID19 period? I can only see the option to add on up to 6GB data but need more.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: How to add extra data

Optus are providing a free 20Gb over April. Activate it in the Optus phone app.

You can also just bump your phone plan up to the next level anytime ($10 more a month you get you something like twice as much data)

Otherwise perhaps look at prepaid options (optus and other carriers) that you can hotspot periodically if you need to.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Peter! Do you know where in the Optus app you can access the 20GB data in April eg. Will the option appear in the ‘add ons’ or ‘billing’ section?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Your guess is as good as mine. I suspect there will be a prominent popup about it. Not sure why Optus don't just up everyone's data instead of requiring activation? Maybe they just want the recognition.
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Peter, do you know if you upgrade your package to the next level you will immediately get access to the additional data, even if part way through the contract month? I was going to add-on a data add-on but your way will definitely work out cheaper

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

You'll get an SMS or email advising that an order has been placed. It's the generic message for all add-ons being applied.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Also just double checking: if you upgrade your monthly mobile can you downgrade to your original plan the following month (without penalty) when you don’t need as much data? Thanks for your help!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Good check and the answer is no. Spending more money is allowed. Spending less is not.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Peter. There doesn’t seem to be a good option for me. I just need a temporary increase in data during the COVID19 period. WFH is burning through my data (the extra 10GB of April data to my prepaid plan will be helpful but I will need more than that and multiple add ons of 6GB being the highest option is going to get expensive!) If there’s anything else you can recommend I do that would be greatly appreciated. Can Optus offer any further assistance to increase data temporarily (eg by 30GB a month or double the monthly data if I pay twice as much as usual?)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Actually I probably misspoke, the OPtus policy has changed recently. Optus mobile plans are now all month to month. So you can go up and then drop down as needed.
0 Kudos
Top Contributors