Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

How to Port my number away from Virgin, now that it has shut down?

Can anyone help me get in contact with whoever at Virgin/Optus can assist with porting my number? 

I requested this via activation of my new SIM (from Spintel) more than 2 weeks ago. Spintel are also working on it - but at Optus they don't think I have an account, despite still sending me a bill, and at least my old Virgin/Optus SIM is still working. The nbn transfer went like clockwork, but this mobile stuff is extremely frustrating. More than 10 hours on hold to Optus and in online chat with Spintel. 

Next stop is the TIO.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: How to Port my number away from Virgin, now that it has shut down?

If you have a bill via Optus then it has an account number.
Your service is still working, so get the other telco to port it with the account number on the bill.
Porting occurs very quickly so its not some multi week process.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, but I'm still getting bills from Virgin. The Account number and my mobile number do not seem to be showing up anywhere... 2 weeks and still waiting/hassling, hence looking for more answers here. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Prob best to go right to the source: https://www.virginmobile.com.au/support/what-is-my-account-number/

Virgin Mobile Aus Support
1300 555 100

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You can't kick start a 'port'. Ten hours on the phone with Optus should have told you that. Its essentially a 'pull' process. Spintel requests it and the law is that nothing should impeed the transfer (and its a law the Telcos take seriously). Sometimes things get stuck. I would return to Spintel and talk to them about looking into what has gone wrong.

The TIO process would take over a month (with no guarantee of results).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, I had that number already on my bill, and given to new provider. All sorted now 🙂
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yes, it was requested twice from the new provider - problem was it just wasn't happening. Hence the calls to Virgin/Optus to try to track down why. New provider was also calling. Not fair that Optus/Virgin hangs on to my number for 2 weeks after the 1st request and needs continual hassle after the 2nd request (via new provider). Sorry to be blunt, but I was an Optus customer for 20 years before moving to Virgin, and every time something needed changing or moving I encountered these incredible hassles. It's time Optus updated their data base to work smoothly and efficiently. I could tell more stories of new phones being delivered to addresses left 4 years previously ... but enough! I'm outa here. Thanks for your help, CrowdPeople. You are the best thing about Optus.