cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor ramer01
New Contributor

How long until your mobile number becomes inactive?

In June last year I paid the last installment on my contract while I was living overseas. Since then I haven't topped up pre-paid credit or used it at all. I'm looking at returning to Australia in 2 months and am wondering if I'll still have access to my old mobile number? I put the sim back in my phone and tried calling it but it cut straight to a message saying something about calls to the number have been temporarily suspended. Any ideas? I'd call, but it's expensive and I hate getting up at all hours of the night to ring Smiley Tongue 

Cheers,

0 Kudos
16 Replies
RetiredModerator Dave
RetiredModerator

Re: How long until your mobile number becomes inactive?

Hey  ramer01,

A Pre-Paid service number will expire 6 months from the expiry date of the last recharge.

If you'd like us to check the current status, send through your details.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hey there,

As Dave said the number expired after 6months. So the chance of it working is slight at best. If your number is inactive, I'd suggest that maybe visit the Optus store at the airport when you arrive in Australia. They should be able to sort out a new number for you.

That being said if you'd like to maintain the number for a long period of time is suggest get the long expiry cap. It last for 6 months with credit then once the credit runs out your looking at a further 6 months before the number is cancelled. so that saves the number for a year. If you don't happen to be back within that year you can do small $5 recharges online and that will keep your number alive almost indefinitely.

To do an online recharge go to www.optus.com.au/recharge

Kind regards,
Loki
Photobucket
New Contributor P_D
New Contributor

Hi

Could someone help me please?

I also need to top up my pre-paid so as not to lose my number while I am overseas.

I can not find the option for a long range pre-paid top up on your recharge page though.

Thank you

Phoebe

0 Kudos
Retired Employee Andy
Retired Employee

Hey Phoebe, it depends what rate plan you're on. To get the longest expiry you'll first need to change your plan over to our Long Expiry Cap and you can do this once logging into your My Account: http://www.optus.com.au/myaccount Once you've switched over you can recharge with a minimum $30 to get 186 days validity. Drop us a line if you need a hand!

0 Kudos
New Contributor beenee
New Contributor

Hello

Has optus cut the limit of expiry from 6 months to one week? 

My service for $2 which i have recharged twice in the past fortnight. I dont use it often as im on extended leave overseas but i dont want to loose the number. 

Previously when i recharged it would give me 6 months after the credit had expired. This seems no longer the case see below

Service number0408****21

PlanTwo Dollar Days 3G Ready

You can change your Prepaid plan by texting the number 4 to 9999 and follow the prompts.

Your Prepaid account balance as of 02 Nov 2016 12:29 AM is $8.00

Your service will expire if not recharged before 09 Nov 2016

YOUR PRE-PAID ACCOUNT BALANCE IS MADE UP OF:

PartitionBalanceExpiry

MyCredit$8.0009 Nov 2016

Can someone please help this is very frustrating now that i dont get 6 months anymore??

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
RetiredModerator PhilC
RetiredModerator

Hi Beenee,

That does sound odd! It will depend on what prepaid plan you're using as to how long the credit will last. For example the old $2 a day 4G ready prepaid plan, if only $10 is applied the credit will expire after 10 days that being said the service shouldn't expire at this point in time. If you can send through the full name, number and date of birth on the account I'm happy to take a closer look into this for you, or you can chat with our service team over the phone on 1300555002 - Phil

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hey there,

Thought I'd chime in. Considering you still have credit on there your service will remain active for a further 6 months after expiry of the credit. 

After having a look at the CIS (Critical Information Summary) it says the following. 

"Daily plan inclusions expire at the time when you select another rate plan or at 11:59:59pm AEST/AEDST each day, whichever is earlier. Timing is based on AEST (the time in Sydney, NSW) regardless of your location. Please adjust your usage to allow for time differences. To keep your service active you need to recharge 6 months from your credit expiry, otherwise you may require a new SIM card to use the service and you may not be able to continue using your mobile number."

You can locate the CIS at this link. 

Hope this helps. Hit me up if you have anymore questions. 

https://smb.optus.com.au/opfiles/Shop/All/cis/Cis%20Documents/1390050_CIS_Optus_Two_Dollar_Days_0113...

Regards,

Loki

Photobucket
0 Kudos
Contributor knav2013
Contributor

Hi,

I'm on the long-expiry cap which expires on 17-11-2017. When I go to recharge online the recharge options are $5, $10,$20...etc. If I select $5, I have to select '$5 mytalk add on' or '$5 mydata add on'.

If I chose $5 mytalk add on and recharge, will this have any effect on my SIM expiry date? If so, how long will it extend the SIM expiry by?

I have nearly $15 balance on the account. So, don't really want to lose the balance by not recharging before 17-11-17.

THanks.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey @knav2013

It sounds like you’re being presented with recharge add on options. A $5.00 Mydata add on will expire within 14 Days or on your next MyData Add On purchase of any value, whichever is earlier. A $5.00 My Talk add on will expire within 28 Days or on your next MyTalk Add On purchase, whichever is earlier. All my credit rolls over if you recharge before your credit expiry date. You'd need to top up with your my credit with either a $10, $20, $30,$40.$50 or $60 voucher. I've linked the CIS for the Prepaid Long Expiry plan here.

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors