cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Contributor knav2013
Contributor

Re: How long until your mobile number becomes inactive?

Does it have to be through a voucher? I'm abroad right now. so cannot visit an Optus store. Optus website has credit/debit card or Paypal recharge options available. Anyway, the $10 recharge only has a 45 day expiry, same as a $15 'Voucher only recharge'.

From the 0617 (June 2017?) version on the Prepaid Long Expiry plan, it seems I have to top-up by $30 to recieve the same 186 days expiry that used to be available by topping up $10 previously (at onepoint it may have been $5). Optus keeps increasing the top-up amount and reducing the expiry time for smaller top-ups.

As I'm mostly abroad, only use the Optus mobile to receive sms from business or for online banking. Receive the very rare phone call. If I was to keep topping-up by $30, in two years, I would end-up with a balance of over $100 (okay, that's if the credit does not randomly disappear like it did yesterday). I guess that's what Optus wants.

0 Kudos
Moderator Aman_B

Hi @knav2013, yes you can recharge online as well. If you are just recharging to keep this number active then its better to change to the Long Expiry plan as it will be cheaper and your number will stay active for 6 months even after the due date of the balance. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Contributor knav2013
Contributor

Hey@Aman_B,

Long Expiry plan is the plan i've always been on. I selected this plan on activating the SIM. Received email from Optus on 15 May 2017, (after I went through the activation process) saying:

"You will be activating your service on the My Prepaid Long Expiry plan. Further information can be found at optus.com.au/prepaidcis."

My service expired on 17 November 2017 (186 days from 15 May 2017), because I didn't bother recharging. I've now received an SMS from OPtus saying I have to recharge before 22/05/2018 to keep the same number. See below.

Optus-long-expiry-credit-expire-recharge-before-22-05-18-avoid-losing-number__.jpg

BTW. I think the accepted solution, is very relevant for someone (like me or @BDangerfield here or @genevieve here) who wants to keep thier number, either topped-up (and active) or dormant whilst overseas, but want to continue with the same number on their return to Australia.

0 Kudos
Moderator Aman_B

No worries. Could you please confirm your full name, Optus number & date of birth so that I can confirm your plan and due date?  Please PM me the details Here

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Contributor knav2013
Contributor

@Aman_B: I can just send an sms to 9999 with the text 'BAL' and get the plan and due date (recharge before date). Actually, that's how I received the info on the pic in the previous post. I don't think optus send the SMS automatically. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Moderator Aman_B

Yes that's correct @knav2013.  You can check these details from the My Optus App as well. Please let me know  if you still need a hand with anything else. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor knav2013
Contributor

Hey,

I'm overseas right now. My credit expired recently. So, bought the $5.00 My Talk add on yesterday. Can recieve sms messages. Also, send messages to 5555 (don't know if I can send to normal numbers). Although, I cannot make any calls. WHen I attempt to call a local number. Receive an sms saying "optus adviss that you have insufficient credit to make a call. Please call 444 for credit card recharge or 555 to use a recharge card".

It would be great if I could at least make a 1-2 minute call with the $5.00 recharge, because the roaming call rates where I am is $2 per minute. (even being able to make a one minute call would be handy). But seems I cannot unless I recharge with normal credit.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors