Searching...

Mobile

Accepted Solution

How long should porting a number from Virgin Mobile take?

WaitingMusic

I was advised to seek out another plan by Virgin Mobile and I found another plan on Optus.

I attempted to activate the Sim card that was posted to me, this gave me an error.

On the online chat, apparently it was "resolved" with a mobile number port from Virgin Mobile.

They stated that it may take up to 24 Business hours...It has been about 36 hours and the Sim still does not let calls or text through.

Going back on to the online chat, I wanted to know what the status was for the activation of the Sim.

I was advised to call the porting number.

After being held on the phone for 30 minutes then being hung up on followed by another 30 minutes only to be told that I would be transferred to the number porting team and then immediately told that they are closed and hang up on me...

How long should porting a number from another provider to a new Sim take?

Or better question, is there a way to check up on where your activation request is at? Like is it being held by Virgin Mobile? Or is it the fact that I need to wait longer? 

Highlighted
Solution

Re: How long should porting a number from Virgin Mobile take?

Ray_YC

It generally takes a few hours but can take up to 3 - 5 business days.

We suggest giving the porting number a call on Monday for an update if it still hasn't come across.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
WaitingMusic

But see that is the really confusing bit...why does it take several days?

All the stuff I read online, especially with regards to number porting, sim activation and stuff say "15 minutes to 4 hours" and here you are telling me it can take 3/5 business days?!

Which is which? And why does it take UP TO 3/5 business days?

Is my number basically on hold until some dude decides: Cool beans, looks like WaitingMusic has waited long enough, time to actually make the switch? I am giving Optus/Virgin the benefit of the doubt here, that it isn't like that and I am sure there is some technical limitation why it requires that much time...

All I want to do is just know where the Sim is at, whether its in the process of being sorted or not. So far, after 2 more calls, my old Sim has lost its number, but the Optus Sim is still not letting me call out.

Also since I am getting emailed about marking this as resolved...

I won't mark this done until I actually get this resolved...so far you're telling me it should take 3 business days...well lets see if it actually is 3 - 5 business days.

Ray_YC

Up to 5 business days is information on the Virgin Mobile community site as per the link above.

As we're not the Porting team, I unfortunately am unable to give you technical information why it takes longer in some cases sometimes. It appears there is a complication but for the specifics you'll need to get those from the team.

By all means, don't mark your question as resolved until it is which is hopefully soon.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

WaitingMusic

I don't know why the guys at Optus stated that it would take 15mins to 4 hours when it took me approximately 5 days. Perhaps it was the legal contract obligations that Optus had to follow...even though Virgin is their child company.

For the record I haven't done anything except follow up on the status of the sim, of which I have received multiple statements like: 

"Oh 3 days! it shouldn't take that long, I will forward you over to the number porting team"...of which I get through after an incredibly long hold, and once it is picked up I am told that I will have to call back as the Porting team has magically stop working at 7:45pm even though I was told they open from 8am to 8pm...I dont understand, what is good information and what is bad information.

I was about to follow up today after work and somehow the phone sim was cleared at about 6pm in the afternoon, of which I got text messages stating that my number had finished porting.

I have to say, so far...Optus is not in my good books for communication, ironic for a telecommunication company. It was incredibly difficult to get of the Porting team and once I did, it was incredibly difficult to get the status as to why it was held up and when I was told to call again the next day, there was absolutely no way of sending them an email or leaving a note asking for the status of the sim.

But anyways, thanks for reading my rant...whoever reads these rant. I doubt my views will bubble up anywhere.

I do acknowledge that I have been slightly emotional over this matter but I guess...when you are told it should take 4 hours max and it takes almost a grand total of 5 days, I guess you can't help but be a little angry...or maybe that is just me.

Anyways thank you Ray_YC for doing your job and keeping your cool.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
108 Kudos
103 Kudos
84 Kudos
78 Kudos
43 Kudos