cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
AusPV
New Contributor
New Contributor

How is my number displayed on caller ID in Australia when calling (and located) overseas?

I will be spending some time working from Canada, and will have turned on roaming/travel features from Optus.

When I call an Australian mobile (from Canada) will my number appear on their caller ID as it would as if I was located on shore?

also

When someone calls my Australian number (and I am located in Canada) will there be any delay in the line or additional charges to them?

also

When people send me an SMS in the situation above, will these go through and will the Australian mobile sending the SMS receive any additional fees?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: How is my number displayed on caller ID in Australia when calling (and located) overseas?

Yes, No and No.

Incoming calls to a mobile never incur extra cost because people don't know if they are calling overseas or local in many cases. The cost to call your mobile will be decided by whatever their plan is.
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: How is my number displayed on caller ID in Australia when calling (and located) overseas?

You definately can get charged to receive a call while roaming, it all depends on the telco and specific plans.

Optus do. For example see here: https://www.optus.com.au/mobile/plans/international-roaming/postpaid-rates
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Receive yes but I think the OP is more concerned with the sender side.
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

True, but you stated "Incoming calls to a mobile never incur extra cost" which is very wrong. The sender is never the receiver so you weren't even answering the OP's concerns.
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

It was answered in the context of the question but could have been made a little clearer:

"Calls to a mobile never incur extra cost for the sender"
0 Kudos