Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

How does Automatic Recharge work with Optus prepaid?

I bought a long expiry prepaid SIM; but since then have found that my usage has increased  beyond what I expected. Twice I have accepted the offer of automatic recharge when the balance falls below $2, and have received emails to say that the plan is effective, yet Optus has let the balance go to 'zero'. So I panicked and asked in the shop, and they did a recharge for me, but it lasts until a date, NOT until the balance gets low.  I keep getting different versions of the policy from different consultants and shop attendants. What do I have to do to get automatic-recharge-when-the-balance-is-low implemented ?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Change of plan

Lets try it a different way. What is your current data need a month (being generous)?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I'm not interested in DATA. I use the phone only to exchange texts. I do not even do that from the phone - I have a desktop program from which I do that - I use my landline for calls and my desktop for internet. I want to be able to text without running out of 'credit' - so automatic recharge when the balance gets low is an ideal solution - THAT is what I want.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Okay. So zero data needed. That's an important metric.

I'd suggest you just port to Amaysim $10 a month plan. You get unlimited calls and SMS (plus a bit of data). They grab $10 month automatically and you are set. Even uses the Optus network.

Actually I think the Optus $2 a day prepaid plan might be better value again. You only have to recharge every 6 months (for $30). But after that you have unlimited talk and text for the 6 months (just don't use any data).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I was told Amayasim would not run in my phone. Should I take it that the automatic recharge that is advertised, is NOT available ? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Not at all. Just that better solutions might be possible. I edited my post above. For $5 a month you can have unlimited SMS with Optus.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

You are right - that is a better solution - but how to get it ? I've had a look at Optus Mobile - it's not on offer. Even in 'Build your own' I found no way of selecting 'unlimited SMS for $5/month'.  The 'call optus' option is reserved for COVID affected 'customers'.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to the $2 daily plus. And on re-read that is actually a minimum of $60 a month up to $120 a month so very bad value (I thought the $30 recharge lasted 6 months) .

So the second best option is $10 a month via something like Amaysim. They auto charge that each month and you can't run out of SMS.

But otherwise if you want to stick with Optus then just install the Optus App and look in the menu there. Hit RECHARGE then AUTO RECHARGE and follow the prompts. You can set it to trigger when the balance gets low.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I have twice done that and my complaint is that it does not take effect. Amongst the conflicting stories I have got from consultants is that my SIM does not allow that. I repeat, I have had email notifications that the autorecharge was successfully set up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

That doesn't sound great. I can see no reference to the auto recharge being SIM specific (Optus agents can sometimes make things up when they don't have the answer). Not sure there's anything much you can do really other than keep asking and either believe Optus when they say they can't or believe them when they say they can - and then wait and see what happens. Either that or find another company.
0 Kudos