cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: recycling

Spot on, @Vin_YC 

Unfortunately an inconvenient global pandemic slowed down a lot of projects and initiatives however I actually just heard an update on this one on Tuesday that it has progressed to needing final sign off so hopefully something is launched in the not too distant future 😊   

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Contributor
Contributor

well hopefully that's good news because my 1st email was November 2019  

New Contributor
New Contributor

Recycling scheme should have been in place way before the pandemic. NBN roll out was going on way before the pandemic.
New Contributor
New Contributor

@Vin_YC,

Do appreciate your suggestion on where council could take recycle about e-waste but all of them don't mentioned anything about modem. Can I ask whether "Mobile Wireless modem" is the same as those ADSL modem or Wireless router etc.

Hey @PT_KC - Yes, these would essentially be the same type of devices used for our services.

New Contributor
New Contributor

Dear Optus, 
long time customer, first time complainer here.
I like you, I really do... BUT... your lack of action in regards to the recycling of E-waste, especially your OWN products is incredibly disappointing & cause for major concern.
The issue of electronic waste has been evident for years & years, long before the China Virus emerged & long before the rollout of the NBN, which has created tonnes more E-waste with the replacing of outdated modems.
This issue was first raised on here back in 2019, it is now 2021.
Lift your game Optus. It's not enough to agree that companies need to step up. Show some leadership & care for our environment!
This is not personal or directed at the Optus moderators on here but PLEASE inform Optus management that its customers seem to care more about recycling than they do.
I too will be following this up via various channels, this has to change & quickly.
Regards,
Aussie Tintin

Hi @AussieTintin, I completely understand where you're coming from. Businesses do need to be more environmentally conscious as we move into the future. Optus has taken a few steps towards this which you can check out on Our Environment page.

I have tagged your post for feedback to the relevant teams for consideration.  We've also raised this internally for review.

Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

What I'd like to see is attention given to one of the root causes of the modems becoming obsolete in the first place, namely the guaranteed ability to use an RSP supplied modem with any other RSP.

With the NBN for example, churning between RSP is so much easier and faster, that is until you have to try and figure out if the modem your current RSP gave you will work with the next one you choose, so not only do you have more ewaste but you more then likely will have to fork out $$$ for yet another modem.