cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

How do I know the actial data usage excluding Spotify and OptusSport?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: How do I know the actial data usage excluding Spotify and OptusSport?

Yeah. That is a probably unintended side effect of the free data. It becomes harder to track your usage independently. 

But I believe the Optus app or My Account will only show usage that counts towards your quota. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Hi @petergdownload

I think you are right. Yesterday I played Spotify on my mobile for about 2 hours, 13yr old soccer end of season, on the Optus app it shows usage of about 22mb.  The Spotify app would have used a lot more data than that but why show some usage?

Shows the same total data usage in My Account

Regards

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Hi

Just as an addition to my last post I wondered how much data Spotify actually uses. Extract from their website FAQ.

Please keep in mind, if you stream online music one hour in day and in month 31 days it will be:

96 kbps: 43 MB in hour, 1339 MB (1.3 GB) in month. Only mobile.

160 kbps: 72 MB in hour, 2232 MB (2.2 GB) in month.

320 kbps: 144 MB in hour, 4464 MB (4.4 GB) in month. Only Premium

So calculating my usage for yesterday should have been at least 86MB. I am puzzled why the Optus app shows usage of 22MB.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Davelew That's usage that he App specifically says is used by Spotify?

When you're dealling with these small chunks IMO there's too many variables. Time for Optus to report data, different calculation methods etc. In your case my main thought would be your phone is caching the songs and so data downloads were much less?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

@petergdownload yes, that is the data the Optus app shows  used by Spotify by going to Databreak Down>spotify . Then shows usage by day.

Dave

0 Kudos
Top Contributors