cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor autojack
New Contributor

How do I get voice mail notifications on smartphones?

My wife and I recently moved to Oz from the US, brought our American Android and iPhones, and signed up with Optus. Since then, we've noticed that when someone leaves us a voice mail we receive an SMS notification of it, but the voice mail icon in our phones' menu/notification bars no longer appears as it did back home. If you happen to 'read' the SMS but then don't listen to your voice mail, it's easy to forget that you have a new one pending. Is there any way to get the VM notification in the menu bar to work again?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

Re: How do I get voice mail notifications on smartphones?

Hey guys and welcome down under! I think this may be a difference between the service in US and Oz as I've never had the voicemail notification on my phone as you've mentioned. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor autojack
New Contributor

Re: How do I get voice mail notifications on smartphones?

Interesting - I used to work at a handset manufacturer in the US, and at least back then the VM notification was triggered by a specially-formatted SMS, which the phone would intercept and use to show or hide the icon as necessary. I assumed it still worked this way and was a worldwide thing, but I guess not! Thanks Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Top Contributors