Searching...

Mobile

Re: How do I disable the automatic 1GB $10 data add on?

Dan_C

Hi @mukas

Post-paid usage alerts are sent out 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Alerts are not generated in real-time and a delay of up to 48 hours may be experienced. As far as automatic top ups are concerned, it's something that's been in place such the introductions of 1GB data top ups. This is something that's mentioned in the T's and C's contained within the plan CIS form you'd have received at point of sale.

Depending on the handset you're using, you can use your handsets in-built data analytics tool or a number of other third party applications to manage your data usage. For example, there's My Data Manager for Android.

For other helpful tips, we suggest having a read through http://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/understanding-managing-your-data-usage?requestType=Norma....

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

mukas

Well, none of this helps, I still have to pay $130 to Optus for "feature" I don't want and is forced upon me.

The only way to fix this is to cancel my current contract with Optus and use pre paid sim card.

Dan_C

@mukas, there's really not much more I can add. This is something that has been in place for years and I don't foresee a change in the near future. 

The excess data charges are explicitly explained in your plan's CIS form. 

There are tools to help you manage your data usage. You can even set up customer usage alerts via your Optus.com.au/myacount. It might be a good idea to switch off cellular data all together once you reach a particular usage level.

Prepaid is a good way to ensure that you stay within in your allocated limit. 

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

TJ73

Well this reply is basically saying optus don't care about it's contracts as we are locked in and can suck up the unfairness. So really  loyalty is not rewarded and it is best to never go in a contract and remain unloyal in prepaid. Wow......

Dan_C

It's definitely not my intention to come across that way but I'm not sure what else there is to add. We appreciate the loyalty but the option to switch off automatic data top ups simply doesn't exist.

Our current plans include much more data than we've offered in the past. I'm more than happy to see if we can switch you across to a plan with a more generous data inclusion. That'll lessen the likelihood of you exceeding your allocated data allowance.

TJ73

Dan the issue is simple as you said, the option simply doesn't exist. However please don't imply or insinuate that this is because it can't.The fact is optus choses not to enable the  function as  this is how optus makes money and for no other reason. You can clearly see in a simple google search that this is a feature your customers want. Also moving me to a higher data option will simply incur a higher cost for me and defeats the whole issue at hand to manage costs.

[ Edited ]
UslessOptus
Hi,
I'm on a 140GB plan so there is no higher plan. If I overshoot by 3% it costs me double, the plan is clearly designed to rip off customers.
The app was showing me that I have still more than 1GB left but I started getting the 1GB $10 messages even though it showed it was updated just minutes ago. 
The whole "experience" designed in a way to mislead customers and charge them extra money. 
Interestingly the last day is where all the data allowance miraculously starts catching up.
In the app the day ring closes 24h before the end of the billing cycle. 2 days before the end of the billing cycle it says 1 day left. On the last day it says "expires today".
I had to turn off the modem and tether to my girlfriend's iPhone so I don't get charged another $20 for writing this message.

I'm thinking about reporting this to the telecommunication Ombudsman.

Tom Voros

AndyHo_2606

I am not sure if this has been done but I just lodged a complaint with ACCC for the $10.00 1GB auto recharge. They can not rip the customers off like that.

Jin123

Hi Andy, what is the outcome of your complaint?

Highlighted

Daylightrobbery

Complete bs Dan...why not??? People don’t want the automatic add so fix your systems! Easy as that. Don’t refer us to your bs apps to monitor data - nobody gives a rats about that! Fix your systems and make it optional!!! 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
137 Kudos
117 Kudos
81 Kudos
80 Kudos
47 Kudos