Searching...

Mobile

Re: How do I disable the automatic 1GB $10 data add on?

grc

2/12, 22:12
18.45GB of 20GB of the shared data allowance has been used. At 20GB you will automatically get an additional 1GB for $10.00. Each time you use your data inclusion we'll give you 1GB for $10. Usage resets on 04/12. More info on usage at optus.com.au/alerts

2/12, 23:08
 The shared data on your account has exceeded 20GB. You now have an extra 1GB for $10.00 and will be charged $10 for each extra 1GB you use. Usage resets on 04/12. More info on usage at optus.com.au/alerts

2/12, 23:08
 908MB of the extra 1GB shared data has been used. At 1GB you will get an extra 1GB for $10.00. Usage resets on 04/12. More info on usage at optus.com.au/understandingdata

3/12, 0:21
 100% of the extra 3GB shared data has been used. You now have an extra 1GB for $10.00. Usage resets on 04/12. More info on usage at optus.com.au/understandingdata

2/12/2016 23:40
My Account:- Included 20GB, 82% used, 3.59GB Remaining.

I would love to turn off data, but I do not have a crystal ball to determine when 20GB is used. $100 bill is now $140! Great value?

Highlighted

Sam_D

@grc - usage alerts may be delayed by up to 48 hours so if exceeding your data allowance within that period is something you're concerned about, relying solely on this method isn't recommended. For best results you could also utilise other methods such as the inbuilt data monitoring feature of your handset.

For more information on usage alerts you can visit our site here.

Harry123

That may or may not work depending on the way Optus counts the data and which month it decides to bill it to.  For BEST results Optus could allow users the option to disable the data add-on but Optus will not do as there is a financial incentive not to do so. Since Optus is obviosly valuing the extra charges from excess fees above customers loyalty who sign up for 1-2 year contracts the only real alternative left is to change the service to a prepaid account with either Optus or another telco who is willing to listen to its customers as soon as the existing contracts expire. Maybe if enough of its customers do that then Optus will start taking notice of customers requests and decide to do something about it.

Heathro

All good to say monitor.

I pay for plans for my daughter in law and granddaughter, they don't live with me and the shared data on our mobile plan is their only internet connection.

I pay the bill, but unfortunately am not able to say to Optus 'please don't provide extra data' .

Last month I was charged an extra $50. 

What other company /retailer has the right to decide that you are making a purchase and paying for it without giving you the option? 

Sorry Optus, not happy.

I think I will be discussing this with the Telecommunications Ombudsman.

Vicky

I can appreciate where you're coming from @Heathro - the auto top ups are there for customers who wish to use more inclusions than their base plan and it's part of their terms of their service. As mentioned above, we have usage alerts and self-service options so that customers can decide whether or not they wish to use the additional data tiers and turn off their data when they're close to the end of their inclusions. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Heathro

Messages go to individual phones. 

Are delayed and doesn't help when the plans you pay for are for people who don't live with you. 

The person who's name the plan is in, should have the control. After all They are the ones who pay the bill. 

Not acceptable Optus

Vicky

As the data is shared across multiple services, the usage alerts would go to all devices that are using that data If you prefer, we can process a change of change of ownership on the different services if the users want to manage their own usage @Heathro.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Heathro

Thanks, full of helpful advice... not. 

If they could afford their own device that would work. 

I can give you all these 'not helpful ' ideas. 

The bottom line is I am happy with the arrangement other than the fact that's Optus feels they have the right to provide something I have not asked for. 

It id forced upon me. 

The only answer is to allow people to choose if they want the additional data or not,. What Optus is doing is morally  wrong. 

Aman_B

Apologies for any inconvenience @Heathro, data top ups are added as per your plan terms and conditions and this is something that can't be changed. I'd recommend managing your data by using My Optus App or from my account. Please let us know if you need a hand with My Optus App or my account. 

Harry123

Vicky,  how exactly can we manage our data using My Optus App or My Account , can we switch off automatic top ups from there ? Or is that not possible because there is to much profit out to be made out of excess extra charges to give it up ? As for the reasons that "this is something that can't be changed" , why is that ?  Optuse has no problems blocking extra data or counting data in real time on prepaid accounts where they are not able to overcharge customers for excess data.

Heathro, you are wasting your time complaining here as Optuse is not interested in changing things, the mods here are unable to help and all they can do is point you to the plan terms and conditions which allows them to scam their customers.  Almost a year since I asked to be emailed the bills  I still have not received any emails or notification of bills unless I forget to pay them and then I get an overdue notice, again not because it is not technically possible to email the bills but because it is in Optuse interest not to do so. They make it as difficult as possible so clients provide them the bank account details and have the bills AND excess charges paid automatically without questioning them. 

I suggest that you do what I did and look for another provider as soon as each plan is out of contract, preferably move to  a prepaid account where you take control of your account and have the option to request extra data once you hit the allowance limit .  If enough people move on Optuse eventually will get the message that they are not the only telco in town.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
134 Kudos
117 Kudos
81 Kudos
78 Kudos
45 Kudos