Searching...

Mobile

How do I disable the automatic 1GB $10 data add on?

kludlow137

How do I disable the automatic 1GB $10 data add on when I go over my monthly data allowance? I have a pre-paid plan with 7GB monthly allowance.

Re: How do I disable the automatic 1GB $10 data add on?

Harry123

Did you get hit with bogus extra data charges too ? Smiley Mad

I'm on postpaid and got the data add on SMS in the last hours of my billing cycle when I supposedly  used nearly 8GB in just a few hours and 3GB of that in less then 1 minute.  On a 3G mobile ? Smiley Surprised

Even got a couple of SMS with 2GB add on at the time which I didn't think it was possible.

I tried looking at the usage details at the time but got the "error" page message and come back later.  By the time I could look at the details it was a new billing cycle already .

Gen_R

Hey @kludlow137 it's not actually something that can be turned off. You can always watch / monitor the usage using the MyOptus app and your phone's settings and swtich off your cellular connection when you're at 90%.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Harry123

There is no technical reason why it could not be done, you can do it with prepaid accounts so why not postpaid ? Customers should be given the option to agree to extra data with a simple Y/N reply to the SMS alert.

Going back to my situation capping would have been handy.  Optus My account was still showing 3.06GB remaining out of the 22 GB even after I received the SMS alerts and by then I was apparenlty over the limit by 5GB so monitoring or turning of data at 90% would have done little.

In contrast my data manager app as well as the data usage in my phone's settings I was still under 16GB so a discrepancy of nearly 11 GB. Capping the data would have

Further to that asking customers to turn off their cellular connection at 90% because Optus can not count data in real time on postpaid accounts is not really fair. After all Optus probably wouldn't accept customers paying only 90% of their invoice. Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted

Shae

Hey Harry123, I can see you're getting some help with this via another channel so I won't comment too much on your personal situation here. That being said, we provide tools to help users monitor their data in the best way we can. For now we have the tools that are available and are seeking to make real time alerts available to our customers, unfortunately data consumption has outpaced our ability to build systems to meet the demand. We're currently developing new systems to give you real time alerts but for the moment, there is a possibility that the app data and alerts may be delayed. 

grc

The only option is to move to Kogan Mobile on Vodafone. They cut data off once limit is reached. Manually buy 2gb pack for $15. Optus don't care anymore about loyal customers bill shock.

Esther

Not the case grc - the $10 top ups actually eliminated the bill shock as the data was now much more affordable than it used to be! If you'd like us to have a look at your individual options send us a private message with your mobile number, full name and DOB for ID.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

grc

Plenty of Optus customers get bill shocks now and before. Optus delayed data notifications up to 24 hours. Customers have no idea they have gone over until it is too late. $10 for 1gb is a complete rip off compared to the data included in plan.

Sam_D

Hi @grc,

I recommend using the My Optus App or My Account to check your usage. You also have the option to turn data off to avoid being charged the $10 for the Data Top Up.

Harry123

Its all good to recommend using the My Optus App or My Account to check usage except if they do work and no tecky is "tinkering under the hood" the data usage displayed is many hours and even days behind the actual usage. Also turning data off doesn't stop Optus from charging the excess fees for data used but yet to be counted by Optus. You need to stop blaming your customers for Optus failing to address the issues it has and get on to your bosses to fix them before you have all your customers move somewhere else. You may need to remind them they are not the only telco in town and these days changing telcos takes no time at all, for eg. I changed one of my Optus phones last month and doing the sign up online it was all over in less then 2 mintes with the number ported in less then 2 hours.

I have asked this before and since nobody has replied to it yet maybe you can, why is Optus able to count data accurately and in real time with prepaid accounts yet it takes days for data to be updated on post paid account ?  As I already complained a few months ago I apparently used around 8GB of data but took almost a day before I received the first SMS. Then despite not using any data I received a number of messages from Optus saying that I have used not only my data allowance but also the extra data added, up to 2GB at the time per SMS.  Since Optus can count data accurately in real timeand stop any usage above the allowance on prepaid accounts we have to assume that the only reason it will not do the same on post paid accounts is because it is financially rewarding to trap users into paying the excess charges.

Also how is it that data used but uncounted in a previous month when there are many GB left unused can be added to the following month allowance yet any data used above the data allowance for the previous month is charged at $10/GB for that month ?  In my case a couple of months ago I looked at My Account usage a day into the new cycle and found that I apparently used nearly 2GB already. When I made enquiries I was told that I apparently used this data in the previous month but was only counted in the current month. Strange that as I had nearly 10GB of data left in the previous month it was not taken out of that month yet if I would have had no data allowance left I'm 100% sure that I would have been hit with $20 excess usage for that data.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
79 Kudos
75 Kudos
63 Kudos
55 Kudos
49 Kudos