Searching...

Mobile

Highlighted

How can I make a complaint to the Communications Ombudsman re. stolen money?

AKK

Hi struggling consumers,

I'm still yet to hear a single thing from Optus about these Winneroos "premium' (whether you want it or not) "subscription" crooks that have stolen money from my family. 

I'm not willing to have money stolen from my family - can you understand that Optus?

Having money stolen is not acceptable.

It's time for an Ombudsman complaint, does anyone know the best way to do it?

Thanks

Re: How can I make a complaint to the Communications Ombudsman re. stolen money?

caaf

The best way is to follow the link to the TIO vis the link provided.

Telecommunication Industry Ombudsmen - making-a-complaint

Cheers Dave

Note..This is an open and public support forum please refrain from posting private/personal information. Smiley Wink
I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Re: How can I make a complaint to the Communications Ombudsman re. stolen money?

AKK

Before I give you kudos - do you work for Optus?

caaf

Nope!

I spend my time here (and other places) trying to help others for free and have no affiliation with Optus nor any other telecommination company.

I do hope everything gets sorted out!

Cheers Dave

Note..This is an open and public support forum please refrain from posting private/personal information. Smiley Wink
I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

AKK

Fair play, and kudos for you!

L.

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Technically, Optus is a victim in this scam too. What you're doing is a bit like your family being robbed and then demanding that your wife pay you the money you lost. 

FWIW, clogging up the TIO with unecessary claims is just going to delay things IMO. The process of getting a refund is generally quite straight forward.

1. You ask Optus to refute the claim.

2. This is almost always done.

3. On your next bill the amounts are refunded. 

You may already have been sorted. Granted Optus communication around this scam is uneven (to put it politely) but another call to Optus (rather than waiting for them to contact you) would likely see the issue resolved.

I assume you've set your premium sms limit to $0 now?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Casey_

Hey @AKK, direct carrier billing is a legitimate way that third parties are able to easily bill users for services, there should be a process where you've agreed to terms and conditions before any charges occur though. Where this hasn't happened, we're able to raise a dispute with the service provider to discuss reversing the charges. We are also able to set your content spend limit to $0, essentially blocking any further Premium SMS from charging you, alternatively you can manage your spend yourself in My Account, more info can be found here. If you would like us to assist you, please send us a PM here including your mobile number and DOB for privacy. 

Casjsa

The Communications Ombudsman is very good in my experience.  Many years ago I had a beef with Optus and I sought the advice of the CO.  There was a LARGE kafuffle with Optus about my mobile phone bill and someone had made a very big mistake in Optus at the time.  As a consequence I had a credit that gave me six months mobile for free.  CO isn't good at getting cash back but they will sort out any grievances.  You need to have facts and keep emotion out of your story, no good saying "the Optus person I spoke to was rude" sort of thing.  They don't care who hurt your feelings.  So the CO will ask for a bill from you with an explanation of what your grievance is.  Then they give Optus two weeks to reply to their request for an explanation.  If what Optus reply is not within the law or ethical you will receive compensation, probably a credit of some sort.  

So Optus are incapable of "stealing money" as such, but they may be capable of making a mistake with your bill.  Keep that in mind when you apply to have the CO investigate for you.

Bec123

the same thing happened to me. I will also make a complaint.

I read this article and found out that Optus actually have an agreement with these guys to spam thier customers.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-01/how-i-was-sucked-into-the-world-of-third-party-billing/8752950

disgusted especially after optus gave me the details and told me to call this third party to sort it out and all they did was hang up on me multiple times.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
140 Kudos
121 Kudos
120 Kudos
78 Kudos
72 Kudos