cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

How Yes Crowd helps tackle scam SMS for Optus customers

Hi Yes Crowd,

I have recently had members of our Optus Technical team reach out to me to request that I share this update with our customers on Yes Crowd. In addition to this, the team will be keeping me regularly updated on scam notifications and updates which I’ll be able to share on here where relevant.

Optus has made vast improvements on SMS spam defence capability which helped resolve this particular scam SMS quite promptly.

Our Optus Technical team regularly monitors Yes Crowd posts which is used in conjunction with our SMS spam filtering technology to detect and block. This particular scam URL referenced above (billing.optus.llc) was identified as phishing and blocked on the 2nd of March approx. 10:30am on the same day.

Further collaboration was done to block the unsafe URL on the Optus Fixed Consumer network resulting in Optus customers not being able to access this particular unsafe page after clicking on the URL link.

The team regularly review and updates their processes to stay on the front foot.

Our help and support pages also offer a wide range of information on this subject:

How to stop unwelcome or nuisance calls and messages
Identify hoaxes, phishing or online scams
Reporting hoaxes, phishing and scams
Protect your device from malicious software
Internet Security – Spam, Spyware and Viruses
Internet Safety & Security Index

So we encourage everyone to continue posting and sharing suspicious messages to help all customers.

Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
3 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: How Yes Crowd helps tackle scam SMS for Optus customers

@Ray_YC wrote:

Our Optus Technical team regularly monitors Yes Crowd posts

And yet they NEVER post in yes crowd? Why not?

This particular scam URL referenced above (billing.optus.llc) was identified as phishing and blocked on the 2nd of March approx. 10:30am on the same day.

Don't you think that would have been useful information to post into that thread?

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Thanks again for your feedback. As per the message above, the team and I will be working together (it's a different area of the Technical team if you're referring to issues with modems, etc.).

I was made aware of it today and the information has already been posted on that thread.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Ray_YC wrote:

the team and I will be working together

That's all well and good, but given that fighting scams is time sensitive (i.e. the sooner you deal with it, the more customers you protect) it makes sense to have a more direct pipeline to the internal teams. And because Optus don't have dedicated staff for yes crowd this significantly drags out any comms to/from any internal teams.

(it's a different area of the Technical team if you're referring to issues with modems, etc.).

It was more of a general comment that if Optus have team(s) that monitor the forum they never post themselves. We occasionally get some correspondence relayed by yourself or Dan, or 1 or 2 other Optus staff, but its so little and so infrequent it just makes it seem that 99% of the staff is posted here it Ignored by the people that can do anything about it. And the fact that we see a lot of the same technical issues popping up time and time again with no apparent action from Optus would seem to validate that perception.

I was made aware of it today and the information has already been posted on that thread.

Right, but the problem was 'resolved' in three hours, yet it took Optus 16 days to get that message to the thread. How hard would have been to have tech team post a simple acknowledgement of the problem and mitigation after it was fixed?

And todays scam post is a great example. Here we have a scam directly targeting (and seemingly impersonating) Optus. You would think that the tech team dealing with the scam would want the OP to supply details, but they will never speak up. Isn't it better for Optus to ask for the info they need rather then some arbitrary forum  member?

0 Kudos
Top Contributors