Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Optus Call Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hotspot not working on iPhone 7

Hi,

I’m using an iPhone 7 and ever since I got back from my two week holiday to Japan my hotspot has stopped working completely.

I used a different SIM card while in Japan but put my old SIM card back in when I returned to Australia.

Not sure why it’s stopped working. I tried restarting my phone, resetting network settings, changing the password etc but nothing has worked.

Is this a network issue that can be fixed?

Thanks 🙂

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Hotspot not working on iPhone 7

Hi there @RZ59

It shouldn't be an issue on our end, more than the likely it's a setting on the iPhone.

Is the option to switch on your personal hotspot greyed out, or is the Network not showing up as available on the devices you're trying to connect to the hot spot?

When you'd tried a Network reset, was that with the Optus SIM inserted? 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Nah, the hotspot isn’t greyed out (I’ve tried turning it off and on again) and it does show up in the wifi options but it just tries to connect and then fails. Tried on many different devices.

The network reset was with the Optus SIM card inserted.

Not sure what else to try...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Ah okay, thanks for the extra info @RZ59

I've had a good read through several threads on the Apple Community. There's a couple of other things we can try.

- Back up your device and perform a factory reset

- Visit your local Optus store and we can replace the SIM free of charge.

What's the make and model of the device(s) you're using to connect to your iPhone hotspot? 

It could be worth checking the Network settings, specifically - your TCP/IP.  You'll want to check if IPv6 has enabled rather than IPv4. 

If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you for the research and suggestions. I managed to solve it...when I had my overseas SIM in Japan I had used a VPN (without realising). I was looking for the IPv6 on my phone and came across the VPN settings and deleted the Japan one.

All working now!

Thanks again 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Ah, that's great to hear!

That actually happened to one of my colleagues a week ago! I should have asked if you were using a VPN.

If something else comes up, give us a shout 🙂 

0 Kudos