Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Mobile Outage Northern NSW has now been resolved 2PM AEDT
New Contributor MikeC8
New Contributor

Re: Hip fun scam

Why has optus not put any measures in place to prevent their customers being unknowingly signed up for premium subscription services. From reading the threads, Optus have known about this issue for 6 months and have taken no action. Over 60 dollars was scammed from my account that optus won't refund. Why haven't Optus done anything about this scam, unless it is true as mentioned in the ABC article that they have

a commercial relationships with these premium services. http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-26/optus-and-telstra-sharing-mobile-phone-numbers/6575424

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi,

Just put an on-line complaint in with the TIO (Ombudsman) to get your $60 back. Ring Optus one last time and mention three letters, namely T I O, that helps. The Whirlpool comms forum has 50 pages worth of complaints, which is probably more than 1,250 individual complaints and most of them never got there money back from the scammer, but they all got their money back via the telco or after a TIO complaint.

Just sent the following email to ACCCs Scamwatch and they are just as useless as ACMA, ACORN, Scamnet, etc.:

"Clicking on a SPAM SMS message is considered to be a "Subscription to Premium Services" and at the moment is a perfectly legal way to scam customers of every Australian telco. My complaint about my $20.20 scam by Telstra was never replied to by you, surely because you cannot investigate this issue as it is perfectly legal way to scam customers.

May I suggest you stop advising scammed customers to report individual scams via your web site? It is a waste of time as you will not investigate such a scam anyway.

What you can suggest instead is to contact the telco and definitely not the scammer to get the money back. The telco will advise the customers to contact the scammer and that is incorrect as the money is never repaid that way. What you can also advise customers is to contact the TIO (Ombudsman) if the approach to the telco was unsuccessful.

What you can also advise customers is to contact their federal MP to legislate dual verification via opt-in/opt-out to ensure customers are informed a monthly charge will accrue on their telco bill if they click and unwittingly subscribe to "Premium Services." End of Quote

Regards
domwild

0 Kudos
New Contributor CostaKats
New Contributor

Basically this is a scam that the telcos are aware of but they make such a s*!t load of money , they allow it to continue. Optus knows that this "Hip Fun" doesnt provide any service, that they are simply a virus that scams people from their honest, hard working $. You dont see any happy "Hip FUn" customers do you ? basically optus and other telcos do very well from this scam so they allow it to continue  

New Contributor MikeC8
New Contributor

I lodged a complaint with the Telecom Industry Ombudsman (TIO) and optus have since refunded the money. Initially when I had asked them to refund the money that was scammed from my account they told me I had to contact the scammers and request a refund myself. If optus recommend this then you should lodge a complaint with the TIO.

0 Kudos
New Contributor MikeC8
New Contributor

I lodged a complaint with TIO, optus have since agreed to refund the money scammed from my account. I guess it shows how much optus value the customers where they are not willing to protect them or refund money that was scammed from their account without the TIO having to intervene. Optus are hands down the worst teleco I have had the misfortune to deal with.

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I am afraid Telstra is just the same and others. Whirlpool forum now has 51 pages of complaints about every telco. From my readings double verification via opt-in/opt-out is an industry "recommendation" and not law with fines and enforcement.

What is worse, ACMA, ACCC, ACORN, Scamwatch, Scamnet are  asking scammed customers to fill in long on-line complaint forms just to keep scam statistics. They do not investigate, so they are wasting our tax Dollar. They should not tell us not to click on anything, i.e., one Telstra business customer received an SMS at night from Oz and that is not unusual as he is running a business 24/7, clicked on it and had "Subscribed to Premium Services!". Telstra Business told him that is legal!

They should tell customers to

1. Contact the telco and ask for the money back, and

2. If the telco does not promise to refund the money to mention T  I  O, and

3. If that does not help, then to contact the TIO on-line.

Then check the invoice(s) for the credit. The TIO will also not fine the scammer, but at least will get your money back and it will cost the telco $30.

0 Kudos
New Contributor BM_moderated
New Contributor

Seems like Optus enable a completely dodgy scam where we get charged for 1900 services we never requested....Optus tells me that unless you TXT back STOP every time one of these pathetic companies tells you about "your subscription" (which you never asked for in the first place!) they take it that you are onboard with whatever overpriced garbage they are pedalling.

Seriously this should be illegal! Good news is that if you stuff about calling Optus and complaining, they contact the companies and you apparently will get a refund. Makes me wonder if the big-wigs at Optus are also owners of these companies?

I have complained to the telecommunications ombudsman and suggest you all do the same

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi Louis,

You can certainly block ANY FURTHER scams by setting your spend limit to zero, BUT that does not get your money back or even stop any further charging if you read this forum. Just send an on-line complaint to the TIO with evicence of having called Optus before and the Ombudsman will get your money back.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi Efe,

HIPFUN will never call you back and give you your money back. Send an on-line complaint to the TIO (Ombudsman) and you will get your money back.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@domwild,

I understand that you have good intentions but you're essentially asking customers to wait upwards of 2 weeks for a resolution. This is something that our live chat consultant can sort out on the sport. A refund will be processed by the time your next invoice is due out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors