Searching...

Mobile

Highlighted

Here is what you can do if Optus denies that they had the offer you signed up for

huabamane

I have just gone through a very painful experience with the online chat (first the app crashed, then the contact didn't respond for 10 min+ and I forgot to monitor the app and on the third try it took us 40 min to resolve the issue).

I recently (12 March) signed up online for a new 12 month sim card. Unfortunately, when I signed up, I didn't get a contract sent through via email, but I got an order confirmation without details. (The optus rep on the online chat also confirmed that my contract for whatever reason "is currently unavailable") 

Now I could have sworn that the deal was $40 for 25GB (which included various bonus data deals), but my memory might have tricked me here (could have been 20GB incl 5GB bonus data). Optus, however, insists that I signed a $40 15GB deal.

When I logged into my Optus app on my new phone, it certainly showed 25GB of data available (one of the explanations from Optus here is that this could have been 10GB bonus data from an old plan applied to the new plan). I regularly went to the Optus app to check my data usage as I was just moving house and used my mobile to tether to. About a month later, now on a new phone I suddenly noticed that it now showed 15GB, at which point I contacted Optus for the first time and was told that bonus data would be applied after the first invoice. 

Now that I have run over 15GB and I'm getting charged $10 for every 1GB, I thought I needed to take actions. 

So back to the online chat. The service staff insisted that there were no 20GB or 25GB offers available on 12 March. The most recent 20GB offer was to supposed to have run out on 9 March, according to the internal database. Luckily, there is a website called web.archive.org which keeps track of every historic website, often at multiple snapshots during the day. So I loaded the relevant website and found the offer. 20GB data for $40, offer ending 25/3/18. 

You can check for youself: http://web.archive.org/web/20180312023641/http://www.optus.com.au/

After that, the service chat person once again checked in with the marketing team (as she had done multiple times before) and was adviced to just apply an extra 5GB data to my plan. If the deal was available at the time, it would go through, if not, it wouldn't. And turns out it went through flawlessly. 

Reading some other comments on the forum, it seems that Optus offered so many different deals online that they lost track and in some cases even forgot to create contracts.

Just wanted to share this story to avoid that others have to go through the same pain I went through

Re: Here is what you can do if Optus denies that they had the offer you signed up for

[ Edited ]
Dan_C

@huabamane, thanks for reaching out.

I'm sorry that we've been unable to confirm what you'd originally been offered.

I've had a good scroll through our marketing collateral for the month of March and I've located the following offer:

THE OFFER

New customers who sign up on a $40 My Plan Plus 12M SIM Only plan online, will receive a 5GB bonus data per month for 24 months.

HOW IS THIS BEING COMMUNICATED

Eligible customers will be targeted via SMS and online marketing that includes a link that will lead them to sign up through a dedicated landing page.

Did you receive an SMS that stated you were eligible for the bonus 5GB offer?

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Re: Here is what you can do if Optus denies that they had the offer you signed up for

pshr

Looks like I am not alone!! @huabamane, thanks for the web archive, I didn't know about that. I have the same problem. I signed up for the same $40 plan, 15GB data with bonus 5GB on the 4 th of March. It was up on the website stating for new and recontracting customers. Clicked the link, took me to a landing page and followed the instructions. There was nothing about what @Dan_C is stating 

"Eligible customers will be targeted via SMS and online marketing that includes a link that will lead them to sign up through a dedicated landing page. 

Did you receive an SMS that stated you were eligible for the bonus 5GB offer?"

Unless that is stated in your internal documents and not for the customers to view??

Made quite a few phone calls and messenger chats without any resolution in sight. They tell me that I signed up for the $40 plan with 15GB data. Now, why would I sign up for the same plan I was on for another 12 months unless there was some more benefits? In this case, it's the bonus 5GB data. They are trying to shrug off saying the bonus data may not appear until your second bill is generated. I want to see that in writing for the plan I signed up for.

I did a little research, went to the standard agreement link on Optus website. 

https://www.optus.com.au/content/dam/optus/documents/about-us/legal/DigPricingS3a.doc.

Page 73/74 

From 14th of March 2018 to the 25th of March 2018, if you sign up or recontract online or via telesales to one of the My Plan Plus 12M SIM Only plans with the Plan IDs listed above, you will receive the bonus data specified above for a maximum period of 24 months.  The bonus data may not appear until your second bill and will be forfeited if you re-contract, change to an ineligible plan or cancel your plan.  This bonus data offer is not available in conjunction with other bonus data offers unless specified.

The reps are trying to explain this to me. But this doesn't apply to me. I signed up on the 4th of March and 15+5 bonus data NOT the double data offer.

We as customers don't see our fault on our side, either it's marketing dept (too many offers too soon) or the tech mix up.

We want our bonus data we signed up for.

Dan_C

@pshr,

You're correct, the portion of the T's and C's I'd posted above are internal comms intended for sales agents and care representatives. 

There should be a note on the account which states that the customer was targeted for the offer in question.  

Can I get you to send us a private message? I need your full name, DOB and mobile number.

We'll try and get this one sorted for you. 

http://yesopt.us/pmdan

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
131 Kudos
127 Kudos
99 Kudos
86 Kudos
56 Kudos