Searching...

Mobile

Accepted Solution

Have Optus made the ESIM available?

Nicole56

Last week I got my new iPhone XR.  Part of the reason I chose the XR was to utilise the e sim - so I can use my own personal number via an esim and plug in an actual sim for my work number.  It should also similarly allow me to easily use local sim cards while traveling overseas.

According to this webpage, Optus has made the e sim available (via a QR Code you can only get from stores) as of 12 April 2019: https://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/esim-for-iphone-what-you-need-to-know?requestType=Norma...

Therefore, today I went into an Optus store and was told they have no idea what an e sim is, or how to get one.  She said that I needed to ask for an e sim for my existing number using the Optus live chat. So, I went on the live chat and was told that unless I wanted a new number altogether (I do not), I needed to go into the store. When I said I had already tried in store, she gave me the generic Optus phone number to call.  I called that number and after talking to three people and being on hold for ages, a lady told me that Optus does not yet have the e sim available and has no idea when it will become available.

My question is, has anyone had any success getting an e sim with Optus, or any advice on how to get one issued for an existing number?

Thanks!

Re: Have Optus made the ESIM available?

Paddylee

The store staff need to read the work instructions that they have available.

Its as simple as a sim swap, suprised they were still in the dark about it as its been around a month since launching and each store received the QR code physical cards for esim swapping.

Live chat cannot do the change at the moment as you physically need the QR code that Optus printed on cards that the stores have.

In future it will be all digital via the Optus app but for now thats how its setup.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

Nicole56

Hi, thanks so much for your reply.  It confirmed what I hoped.

But ultimately my problem is not solved. I went back to the store and waited 45 minutes for the lady to make a lot of phone calls and then defensively tell me that their shop is often left out of the loop and have not received any cards with QR Codes.  Upon me asking, she reluctantly called the two other shops in our town and told me they both said the same thing. 

No offer as to what to do next... I guess I just waste time every few weeks waiting in the Optus shop to ask whether they have received the cards yet?

My feedback to Optus here is that they need to better inform/train their staff. This wasted a lot of people's time (mine as well as at least 3 people at Optus...) and is overall pretty unfair to the customer and the sales staff.  They shouldn't market things they don't actually provide or know about.

Scottum

I have tried about 5 stores in Adelaide. 

Moat knew nothing about it. A couple did but said they weren’t available yet. 

I went to to the city store and they said they could do esim but we’re having technical issemues with it. 

I bought an iPhone XR and signed up to optus just for esim .... not too happy... hopefully soon. 

It it would be nice if we could call all of the stores to confirm, but they don’t publicise the big stores who are more likely to have it! 

Ray_YC

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience(s) on Yes Crowd.

I will be submitting this feedback to the relevant area(s) to hopefully see this improved.

I will also attempt to find out how we can help you get one.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Ray_YC

Hi @Nicole56 and @Scottum 

Can you please let me know the store locations you visited?

I am in touch with the eSIM project team who are standing by to dispatch the QR cards to them.

Ordering them via Chat and Telesales is planned for a future release.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Nicole56

Hi, I visited the Darwin store and while I was there the lady also called the Palmerston and Casuarina (both NT) stores.

Thanks, look forward to a resolution!

Ray_YC

Great, thanks very much for this. I have passed this on and will post another update here when I receive one. 

Scottum

Thanks for being on the case here, I’ve been to Adelaide Rundle mall, arndale and west lakes. 

The west lakes people said the go to the Adelaide store but no luck 

Nicole56

Hi, is there any update from the project team?

Thanks!

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
109 Kudos
89 Kudos
76 Kudos
74 Kudos
71 Kudos