Searching...

Mobile

Re: Has my SIM been ported illegally?

Vh1

Except they weren't actually porting - someone emailed them at 10:20pm and put my phone number on another Optus SIM.  No phone calls or anything.  That's acutally how they did it - they sent an email.  No phone call.

THEN... I have a 40 minute chat session plus a 30 minute phone call where I state, in no uncertain terms, that my SIM has been cloned or ported, and every response I receive says that no changes have changed on my account.

I have the transcript.  It's extremely infuriating.  40 minutes of me saying someone else has taken control of my account and 40 minutes of Optus saying there is nothing to worry about, no changes have been made to my account.  

Paddylee

In this case it was a sim replacement. 

Never seen any email support (unless its Enterprise support) with Optus, webchat would be the only other way.

Details such as drivers license number, dob etc would be needed for this process.

Perhaps they need to add further security to this process. 

You can do a sim replacement via the website but it sends a sms to that service with a code that you then have to type into the website. As you had the service to start with would mean it was changed via webchat. 

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

petergdownload

"Details such as drivers license number, dob etc would be needed for this process. Perhaps they need to add further security to this process."

Optus only recently added a new layer to this process (before Name, DOB and phone number) was all that was needed. Something like a licence number is now required too. Still not all that hard to circumvent it seems. Something like Telstra recently introduced procedure where the CS will send an SMS Code to your registered phone for verbal confirmation. 

Its always a balancing act between customer convenience and account security. In this day and age when phones are often the hub of in individuals security, I think Optus have erred too far on the side of ease (for them and the customer).

[ Edited ]
Vh1

Here is my transcript - I dropped enough hints to them. I like the 'fluctuating network' comment. I'm pretty sure you can see that there is complete incomptence on the operators part.

Optus     22:21:26    Hi, this is Ray from the Mobile Service Team, welcome to Optus LiveChat.
Optus 22:21:34Hi there!
Me 22:21:44Hi. I think someone is trying to take my phone number
Optus 22:22:27May I ask how do you know that someone is trying to take your phone number ?
Me 22:22:39I've just received a message from you saying my phone number had been changed
Optus 22:22:53Just to confirm are you able to use the service ??
Me 22:22:59OPTUSMSG: Hi, just confirming we've received your order update for XXXXXXXXXX. Your order reference is XXXXXXXXA. Need help? Chat to us online at http://yesopt.us/chat2us
Optus 22:23:09Request you to fill the slider for me.
Me 22:24:00Can you cancel this
Me 22:24:07I can't make phone calls
Me 22:24:46I'm worried someone is now using my number for 2FA
Me 22:25:53Can you cancel this urgently
Optus 22:25:55Thank you for the details. Please allow me few mins here
Me 22:26:21Can you call me on XXXXXXXXXX that is my wife's number
Me 22:27:41This is urgent. I have a lot of important services linked to that number
Optus 22:27:42I am sorry to inform that as I am from Chat team I have limited access to make calls
Me 22:27:56Can I call someone urgently?
Me 22:28:06Do you have a number I can call?
Optus 22:28:33Not to worry, allow me few mins here
Optus 22:28:44I will let you know about the order from my end
Me 22:29:47Is there a number I can call?
Optus 22:29:58You can dial 133937
Optus 22:30:10Open from 9 am to 5 pm Monday to Friday
Me 22:30:36Is there an emergency number I can call NOW ?
Optus 22:30:54I am sorry the team is closed at the moment
Me 22:31:17Someone has attempted to port my number at 10:19pm
Me 22:31:3610:19pm and you have no one I can call to stop this?
Me 22:31:48I want a number I can call NOW
Optus 22:31:52However, I checked the order number: XXXXXXXXA and I see that there is no changes made on the account . I would like to inform that you are in $85 My Plan Plus
Me 22:31:53This is disgraceful
Me 22:32:07Why can I not make calls?
Me 22:32:25Why can I not receiving text messages?
Me 22:32:33What is that order number about?
Optus 22:33:04May I ask if there is any error message while making calls ??
Me 22:33:11I received that message and now I can't make or receive calls
Optus 22:33:20I would like to inform that it's blank order
Optus 22:33:37Is there any error message ??
Me 22:33:43Why is my SIM not working
Me 22:33:57What is a blank order?
Optus 22:34:08There is nothing in the order
Me 22:34:15I received that message and now I can't make or receive calls
Me 22:34:26I can't send or receive text messages
Me 22:34:41I have no idea what you are taking about
Me 22:34:46What it a blank order
Optus 22:35:12I would like to inform that there is nothing ordered from your account
Optus 22:35:23you can ignore the message
Me 22:35:38OPTUSMSG: Hi, just confirming we've received your order update for XXXXXXXXXX. Your order reference is XXXXXXXXA. Need help? Chat to us online at http://yesopt.us/chat2us
Optus 22:35:51Please stay online I will get you connected to our Business team and they will help you with it
Me 22:36:03Is there a number I can call
Me 22:36:16Can they call XXXXXXXXXX
Optus 22:36:34I am sorry to inform that the Voice team is closed at the moment which is the reason I am unable to call you at the moment
Me 22:36:59You don't have a phone? You work for a phone company
Me 22:37:10Can anyone there call me?
Optus 22:37:27Please allow me few mins here
Me 22:37:49It says my SIM is not registered on network
Me 22:38:28Hello?
Optus 22:38:59I am checking on your account
Optus 22:39:04Please allow me few mins here
Optus 22:39:20Even if I call you I will require to check the account from my end
Me 22:39:28I think you'll find someone is attempting to port my number
Me 22:39:48To a new SIM
Optus 22:39:53Let me check on that for you
Me 22:40:02How long does it take to check this?
Me 22:40:13If someone has. Cancel the order
Me 22:41:05I have been chatting to you for 20 minutes now. How long does it take to check?
Me 22:41:46What is recorded against reference XXXXXXXXA ???
Optus 22:42:03Sorry to keep you waiting, I'll be right back with you.
Optus 22:42:04I checked from my Porting system and see that the last time your number was ported in from Telstra to Optus during December
Me 22:42:28Why did I receive that text? Why is my phone not working?
Me 22:43:38What is order reference XXXXXXXXA
Optus 22:44:15I checked the order: XXXXXXXXA it's for Roaming Pass it allows you to add International roaming service's
Optus 22:44:31There is no charges for it
Me 22:44:58Why did I receive that message now? Why is my phone not working?
Optus 22:45:12May I ask which handset you are using ?
Me 22:46:01Why does that matter?
Me 22:46:22Is there a24 hour number I can call
Optus 22:46:22As per our system your service is active from our end and you are able to make calls
Optus 22:46:33There is no changes made on the account
Optus 22:46:48I see that there is no request for Porting as well
Me 22:46:56Then why did I receive that message?
Optus 22:48:57Sorry to keep you waiting, I'll be right back with you.
Optus 22:49:12I would like to inform that there is no request placed for Porting
Optus 22:49:38Please note that until and unless you place a request to cancel the service there will be no changes made on the account from our end
Optus 22:50:01I request you to ignore the message which you have received from our end
Optus 22:50:10I would like to inform that there is no request placed for Porting
Me 22:50:19But I can't make or receive calls
Me 22:50:35I can't send or receive text messages
Optus 22:50:37Just to confirm you are using GS8 BK ?
Me 22:50:44I'm locked out of my phone
Me 22:51:07Samsung galaxy 8
Optus 22:51:21Tap Settings > General Management > Reset > Reset network settings.
Me 22:53:55Still nothing
Optus 22:54:24Please allow me few mins here
Optus 23:00:37I am checking with the tech team for you
Optus 23:00:41Please stay online
Optus 23:06:51Thanks for your patience. I checked your account and see that there is an issue with the Network fluctuating which is the reason you are unable to make call and sms

Vh1

I repeatedly hinted that I thought someone had taken my number, but repeatedly told no changes were made to the account.  This lasted 45 minutes.

I then had a 30 minute phone call (as I managed to find a number.)  They again said that there were no changes on my account.  Both operators spent most of their time keeping me on hold, and making up different reasons on why my SIM wasn't working.  The phone call told me the order was for VoLTE!  They both told me I had nothing to worry about.  

$11,000 racked on my credit card is completely Optus's fault.  If there was a hint of suspicion that I had lost my phone number to criminals I would have cancelled all my cards.  But Optus told be again and again there were no changes to my account, to ignore the SMS and there was nothing to worry about. 

Paddylee

I got those same layout sms for when i added names to each of my families services. Wish they didnt send the alerts out for such changes and keep them for impactfull changes - caused confusion in my family from it. 

A sms with a code would be beneficial but what happens if you lost your phone and now have a replacement phone and sim?

Guess you have to go into a store (too bad if you were far away from one).

The person who requested the swap has all your information - how would Optus know its not you? 

Yes Optus chat should have seen a change of sim, i dont know why that was not raised. We dont know what those operators have access to in regards to audit history. 

To them your service was still working (as it was on a different sim) 

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

Vh1

I told them repeatedly that my service was not working and saying someone had stolen my number.  They just ignored me and made up excuses. 

If they told the truth and said they didn't have access to that information, I would have cancelled my cards.  But they just plain lied to me and told me nothing was wrong.

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

The international roaming thing sounds weird. If not for that it sounds like you wouldn't have known anything about the problem until your bank rang you.

At this point I would suggest you might also expect another posibility -  They've called expensive international numbers and Optus will have charges worth $1000's. They might not appear on your bill for a while. 

Personally I think any port or sim swap should indeed require a visit to the Optus store with Photo ID. The system as it stands is hoplessly insecure (not just Optus but other Telcos) and needs to be tightened up so a proper remote process can be worked out.

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted

Vh1

The international roaming thing was just a lie. I already have free international roaming. The second support agent told me it was for VoLTE. 

In store they told me that was the SIM transfer.

What kind of telco allows someone to send an email, telling them to move a number to some SIM they've picked up in store. 

The person I spoke to in store said it was extremely suspicious and hinted at an inside job. That could explain how they had my credit card number. I've literally only had that number for three weeks, and Optus is one of the few companies that know it. 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
78 Kudos
74 Kudos
63 Kudos
55 Kudos
49 Kudos