Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Getting ripped off with data usage!

For personal reasons, I decided to limit my Facebook usage. All well and good, hadn't been on it for nearly a week.

Then I checked my data usage for 27/12 and it tells me that I spent 7MB of data looking at Facebook that day - I hadn't even browsed to the site, let alone logged into it!

Chat support have basically said it's my word against Optus' - there are 'footprints' on my phone linking my SIM to Facebook usage on that day.

This means either my phone has been hacked, or someone at Optus is ripping me off.

Has this happened to you? Always check your data usage, people!

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Getting ripped off with data usage!

Facebook can be embedded in other websites too.

Things like a "share to facebook" etc all link back to facebook and can cause usage.

People share photos & video on facebook and share it (embed it) onto other websites.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @arenh, thanks for reaching out to us as we understand your concern in regards to your data usage. That is correct you do not need to be in the Facebook app or website to incur data usage for that particular website. It could also be that the app has auto updates which can happen in the back ground and you might not be aware of it. Even incoming updates, notifications or messages on Facebook will use data and add on your usage. 

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

So what you're saying is that if my Facebook friends post on my timeline or send me messages, I get charged for it even if I don't log in to view them? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

It will only use minimum data in order to notify you if you do not view the message. It will use more data if you open and view it. In other words Facebook will need data connection to work. If you switch mobile data off on your phone (and not using Wi-Fi) you will stop receiving Facebook updates and messages this confirm its needs data to keep up-to date. 

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

This is the point though - the Optus live chat team informed me that I had used the data by logging in to Facebook several times that day, when I hadn't logged in at all. I'm being ripped off! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hey @arenh, due to privacy we cannot confirm if the usage was due to logging in directly or through other websites using Facebook. As advised by @Paddylee before Facebook can be embedded in other websites too. Things like a "share to Facebook" etc all link back to Facebook and can cause usage. Would recommend to download any other data usage apps on phone which will give you more details of your usage and if was through Wi-Fi or Optus cellular network. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I was told by the tech support team that I had logged in to Facebook several times that day, starting from 6AM, from my phone. This did NOT happen. So either me or Optus is lying. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

As above, websites that let you share things to facebok already have you logged into facebook in the background.

You dont have to go directly to the facebook website to be using data thats classed as "facebook"

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

So, even if I am not physically signed in to Facebook, these websites automatically log me in without my knowledge or consent? 

0 Kudos