Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Lalz
New Contributor
New Contributor

Getting charged for Optus sport app from Aug

I signed up for the $40 mobile phone plan (mobile plus plan) in Dec 16 and understand the Optus Sport app was available to use for free until July 17. Now that the new EPL season has started, I have realised that I am being charged $15 for the Optus Sports subscription. When I looked online, I see that mobile phone plans (post paid) that cost $40 and above have complimentary sports app available. I called Optus to ask if I could switch across to the Current $40 mobile phone plan (Data / calls etc - no difference) so that I can get the free optus sport app and the staff quite rudely said its only for new customers or for new contracts. If new customers can benefit from the optus app for free on the same $40 plan, why can't Optus take care of  their existing customers as well?!!?

I have read a few responses on this Blog and looks like I should be able to switch to the Current $40 optus plan given I am still within the contract of 24 months and am not down grading my plan. Can someone please advise and if possible direct me to the relevant person / department within Optus who can assist me. TIA

0 Kudos
5 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Getting charged for Optus sport app from Aug

Sorry, but its my understanding that even upping your plan (say to $60 a month) will not provide free access to Optus Sport. Its a one year enticement extra for the customer but after that its charged.

Its not totally unreasonable IMO, Optus need to start charging for it at some point and 12 months free seems pretty decent? 

There's hoops you can jump through to get the deal again (essentially leave Optus and come back) but few would bother. Otherwise you can get another new handset?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
10000000000GB
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

0 Kudos
Lalz
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi @jkeenan, customers who signed up with us pre July 3rd will have received a 2016-17 EPL season pass. The season pass is valid up until July 31st after which you'll be charged $15.00 per month. Customers also have the option of rate plan changing to a equivalently priced plan or above. You could therefore rate plan change to the current in market market $40 plan. This is a rate plan change not a re contract. Your contract term will remain as is. 

Thanks Peter for your comments. Above response suggests that customers may have the option to switch?

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Lalz

Certainly reads that way to me. Is that from a post by a moderator?

If it is then no doubt a bit more digging should get you what you need. What I'm wondering is what is a Rate Plan Change? It suggests there is now a different plan with something different in its make up. 

My experience is that Optus sometimes does and sometimes doesn't allow customers to shift onto an updated offering of the same value. Not sure what the proc and cons are of this unconfirmed shift. Also does making the shift somehow renew your sports 

Will do some digging myself.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

This was the discussion outcome I just had:

You can change your plan during your contract term to another 12M SIM Only (Online) plan provided you move to a plan with a higher monthly access fee. You cannot change your plan during the contract term to a plan with the same or lower monthly access fee. If you change your plan during your contract term a fee may apply

I gells with my understanding. Change to a pricier plan any time within the same contract period.

Optus are now no longer offering free sports on any 12 month mobile plan (new or existing) so everyone now has to decide if its worth it.

Regards

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos