Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Naseem
New Contributor
New Contributor

Getting an old disconnected number back

Hi,

I have been trying to get my old number back. Originally it was with Optus, then I ported it Telstra. I had postpaid service with Telstra which I tried to convert back to Prepaid. It was not done and I was overseas. They disconnected the Postpaid and I lost the number. Now Telstra says they can not help me as the number is with Optus. When I call my number I get following message"Optus advises that the number you have dialed has been disconnected." 

I tried calling Optus support but everyone passes the buck and no one actually does anything even after committing to reconnect the number multiple times. I have past Bills from Telstra to prove the ownership of the number but no one seems to take interest in solving the issue. 

People in the community suggested to forget it and continue with the new number. I think there should be some way to get back your number if you had it for a longer period. Surely some of the people will never get your new number and this way you lose that person forever. 

I will be thankful to you for any help.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Tuong_YC

Re: Getting an old disconnected number back

Hey @Naseem, thanks for reaching out. I'm sorry I couldn't bring better news, however as you ported your number to another provider and was disconnected on their end - we will be unable reactivate the number, as the service is no longer apart of our network. Your number now belongs to them. 

If you were wanting to start a new service with a new number, I would recommend having a chat to our Sales Team whom would be more than happy to advise further and walk you through this process. The teams are available over the phone at 133 937, online via the Optus App and In Store.

I would also recommend having a look at our Mobile Plans and our teams will assist with this activation. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Tuong_YC wrote:

however as you ported your number to another provider and was disconnected on their end - we will be unable reactivate the number, as the service is no longer apart of our network. Your number now belongs to them. 

That is not correct.  After a number is disconnected its only held by the other carrier for the duration of the quarantine period (i.e. up to 6 months) and then its returned to the issuing carrier. So if the number was originally issued by Optus but cancelled while with Telstra then the number will return to Optus.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Naseem wrote:

I tried calling Optus support but everyone passes the buck and no one actually does anything even after committing to reconnect the number multiple times.

Optus are very bad when it comes to recovering numbers. There are supposed to be options to getting your number back if its not currently in use by someone else.  As the number was lost while with another carrier you would probably have to buy the number back from Optus as a premium "silver" number which Is something like $50-$80 from memory.

0 Kudos