cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
alizarinedot
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Gamifive Mobivillage have stolen money from me!

This company is appearing on my Optus bill. Their phone number is 1800767584.

I have never had any dealings with them, yet they have charging amounts of $5.00 from my account for the last three months.

How is this possible??

Do I report it to the police.

Can someone please help me as this is very distressing. I can't get in contact with Optus as it's outside their office hours.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
10000000000GB
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Gamifive Mobivillage have stolen money from me!

>>How is this possible??

Possible via premium SMS service, which was turned on by default, up to last month. You pushed a rong button 3 months ago when an advert popped up.

>>Do I report it to the police.

No, you get onto Optus and ask for your money back. Also turn off your premium SMS.

0 Kudos
alizarinedot
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Any spam or unsolicited messages I close down immediately. I never tap on links for such messages.

If I somehow pressed a 'wrong' button, how would it be possible for them to get hold of my credit card details or Optus details?

There's no way a company can start charging you after pressing a wrong button once. 

0 Kudos
10000000000GB
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

>>If I somehow pressed a 'wrong' button, how would it be possible for them to get hold of my credit card details or Optus details?

With premium SMS, all someone has to do is send you an SMS and Optus bills you $6 or whatever. Optus sends your phone number to associated cretins in your web requests. It's called header enrichment.

Please see existing threads, such as MIA Sphere scam

0 Kudos
alizarinedot
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Also. having been reading more about this on the internet and it would seem that a lot of people are being scammed by this company without any memory of authorising them to make charges on their account. People have been complaining to their telcos and the telcos have been fobbing them off saying it's not their responsibility?

Does Optus have a commercial arrangement with Gamifive Mobivillage?

Gamifive have charged $65.89 from my account over the past three months.

This is absolutely disgusting! 

This is theft, so why would I not call the police?

0 Kudos
alizarinedot
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

"With premium SMS, all someone has to do is send you an SMS and Optus bills you $6 or whatever. Optus sends your phone number to associated cretins in your web requests. It's called header enrichment."

But I've never sent a web request to these scam artists. I'd never even heard of them. If I get unsolicited SMS messages I delete and block them. 

Anyway, I finally spoke with Optus and they told me that they have had lots of problems with this company (Gamifive)....1000s of complaints where people have had charges that they never authorised. These scammers need to be reported to the Ombudsman and shut down. 

It's not like a situation where you've been stupid and tricked....this is a case of having money stolen when you've done nothing but  deleted an unsolicited message. I personally had never heard of Gamifive until I saw them on my bill. I don't use my phone for gaming or spend any money on SMS services. I only use it to communicate with family and friends.

Also, I'd suggest anyone who has been an unwitting victim of this company lodge a report with the police. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors