cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Contributor redgumtv
Contributor

Re: Galaxy watch 4g is available at telstra is it available on optus 4g???

That article you refer to is about the Samsung Note 9 and doesn't reference the Galaxy Watch directly in relation to the eSim. I spoke with Samsung yesterday about their website misleading potential buyers and as a result they clarified that Telstra would be the only supplier of 4G and minutes later it appeared on their website.

It would appear from my conversation both with Samsung and Optus that little lead up work has been done between companies at this stage and my gut feeling is Optus has been slow on the uptake. I also spoke to Telstra and it took them half an hour to get back to me about what service was available but after a lot of running around I don't think they're all that advanced either. Telstra are talking about at least two weeks after launch before any service is available. Optus clients should keep posting here as things develop.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor OdensSon
Occasional Contributor

Hi. Not indirectly. But directly. McGregor ( Samsung mobile head) actually mentions that they are talking with Optus,Telstra and vodaphone on the e SIM esp with global roaming .See 2nd page of Aus bt artical.

I also have emailed Samsng Aus  management. They are talking to me on Monday.  Also have involved fair trading. As Optus sales representative at Miranda Optus world and the Samsung team at Westfield Miranda.  Told me that galaxy watch would definatly  be with Optus before I purchased the Note 9. 

1. If you chk the Samsung FB page you would see my thread on this also has many other Optus customers been given same assurances on purchase of note 9.  So 2 large corporations at risk of  non compliance with section 8 of the Australian competition and consumer law. 

Feel a class action comming.

0 Kudos
Contributor redgumtv
Contributor

Look, I sympathise with you 100%. And Yes! Large corporates need to watch their Ps & Qs these days as many Banks and Insurance companies have found out. If I was Optus or Telstra or Samsung I would simply just lay out the facts of what is required of the eSim and how it works for everyone, to read. No arguments or misleading promotion, they never increase sales. Samsung in particular should spell out exactly what you get for your money and Optus should decide whether it wants to sell the eSim service or not.

I don't think enough watches would be sold across Australia to justify any class action and the cost of purchase won't come into consideration unless you have made the purchase before this date which I think is highly unlikely to be significant.

The ACCC is hardly going to fine Samsung because they clearly noted the eSim restrictions on their purchase website and Telstra are meeting their obligation. What Optus needs to do is make a commercial decision on its support for the Samsung Galaxy Watch. If they do that quickly the whole issue can be put to bed. The customers decision will be to buy or not to buy the watch and change their account to or from Optus depending which way Optus go.

Personally, I think Optus would have rocks in their head not to support the Samsung eSim (if it's offered to them) because technology in the next few years will see a plethora or eSim based equipment hit the market such as household goods, sporting equipment and entertainment based technology. 4G & 5G is transportable, unlike wireless, so is in that case, the connection of the future.

I think you should keep on the backs of each of these companies, I certainly will, and see if we can get a positive outcome in the near future. And anyone else who wants to help, should. Keep the mail and phones rolling.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor OdensSon
Occasional Contributor

It's actually quite simple. People ( See Samsung FB thread) Like myself have purchased the Note 9 and galaxy 9 on the premise from Samsung and Optus sales representatives that the galaxy watch would be supported on Optus.

We are not retro activly angry because we would have liked the watch to be on Optus.We are Proactively angry as we purchased on  both companys direction that the watch would be supported.

This easily comes under quite a few consumer law statutes. The ACCC or more readily Fair trading NSW in ths case ( as you rightly noted the smaller size of the goods purchase price). Would be involved as again it's a slam dunk on misleading the consumer on purchase.

My brother in law was president of the NSW law society. 

We are not new at consumer protection law.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Lazos1
Occasional Contributor

your retailers lied... i want off my contract...

Tags (1)
Contributor redgumtv
Contributor

Interesting comment on Google this morning. Samsung have run out of the Galaxy Watch 4G at pre-order stage. There is no doubt further stocks will arrive but this is the first time I've seen this happen before release. Hasn't happened with Apple 4G watches.

Maybe the Galaxy 4G watch is going to be far more popular and Optus can't provide the connection service. Optus, time for review is urgent.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

There's obviously a demand for it, I'd love to see number share support for the Galaxy watch.

I don't know the ins and outs of these sorts of carrier exclusive deals. 

If we do happen to receive more info on the subject, you can bet that we'll post an announcement on the forum. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Contributor redgumtv
Contributor

Thanks Dan. Plenty more like me, I guess.

I've been with Optus since 1992, both corporate and personal. I've got six services currently which will have to go to Telstra simply for number share. Makes sense. My best deal is to have all my services with one provider but unless Optus changes its mind quickly that's got to change to the oposition. And coming back in the short term (contract) is not possible or convenient for a loyal customer. 

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

I just don't think it's as simple as changing our minds. 

There's obviously a contractual agreement in place between them and Samsung.

It's the same for a lot of other countries. 

I'm hesitant to say much more. I'm purely speculating here.

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Contributor redgumtv
Contributor

Things are getting interesting. Telstra has their One Number operational and can be switched on next Thurday when the Galaxy Watch arrives. They've rung me twice since I last saw them and if I switch they will give me three months free on One Number.

Optus still won't tell me if they will provide the service at all or when. Two days for Optus to get their act together or lose a bunch of customers for at least twelve months. Shame!

Top Contributors