Searching...

Mobile

Re: Galaxy watch 4g is available at telstra is it available on optus 4g???

Note9user

lots of question on this device, Optus need to give a yes or no.

i am an Optus customer and i will have to move provider if they do not support. 

Optus need to give an answer other than check back later.

I for one will be moving after 1 week .

all of these other comments about taking a class action are a waste of time. people will just move provider.

Optus we need an answer

Paddylee

Its very straight forward.

At Launch Optus will not be supporting the device, the only Telco who is supporting/partner is Telstra.

In the US its only via T-Mobile, NZ its only - No one - bluetooth model only so no ones supporting it. Singapore - also cant see anyone supporting the cellular version....

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

redgumtv

True. The problem with Telcos in Australia is that they are predominantly foreign owned and the local market is small and like most larger companies are driven by shareholders. That's life, but it doesn't mean things can't change. Look at the Myers and David Jones of the world, its not many years since they dominated retail but both are a spent force these days directly from the global market.

Telstra and probably Optus, if they don't pay attention to the local market, will end up the same way. Telstra is already on that path and survives only with federal government support. Technically it is antiquated, 100 year old technology, and the likes of TPG/Vodaphone will come to the fore.

Anyway, my point is that users need to keep pressure on these companies so they will change and learn to supply market needs. We will win.

Paddylee

Now Voda... Leaving Optus trailing last. 

https://ausdroid.net/2018/10/04/vodafone-launching-samsung-galaxy-watch-today-numbersync-christmas/

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

[ Edited ]
XS

That's simply not true.

Just yesterday Samsung put on the Galaxy Watch 46mm - Cellular product page "Availability on the Vodafone network coming soon".  The device itself SM-R805FZSAXSA has an open Australian firware and is not locked to a network.  It is up to the different providers to activate the service.  It is a matter of time as Optus has the service (number share) already activated on apple watches.

XS

Samsung's reply to this is to take it up with the provider, making it clear that it is not an exclusive deal with Telstra.  Vodafone just announced it's support to the new device yesterday (already stated on the product page) and Optus should be able to activate "number share" service used for apple watches on the Galaxy Watch.

Many Optus customer feel the same and are holding back from buying the watch to the point that Samsung's team started to advise people on FacebookScreenshot_20181003-154913_Facebook.jpg to buy the LTE version if they wish, use it as bluetooth until their provider gets on board (I have a screen shot of that).  I think we should all contact Optus either on social media or customer service, voice our disappointment and push on them to get on board.

[ Edited ]
Paddylee

Number Share via Apple is completely different process compared to Samsung.

Telcos had to put a huge effort in working with apple and apples own systems in order for the service to work - as it uses apple servers for activation and ongoing sharing.

This level of software integration would be needed from Samsung and so far it has not gone too well for several early adoptors. 

Looks like Samsung Australia may follow other Samsung offices in other countries and further hold off the cellular watches for now and jus sell the bluetooth models.

Sure the devices are not network locked, but your greatly limited in telcos to ones that can support the device. 

redgumtv

Good work XS.

By the way, I got my Galaxy watch yesterday and it leaves the S3 for dead. More finess and greater features.

Don't leave your purchase too long or it might disappear like the original Gear 1 (Australian version) that had a Sim card but no number share. My watch has been going for 24 hours with regular use and I've still only used 8% battery with S Health working flat out.

More reason to keep the pressure on Optus now. I need 4G/LTE. Telstra said if I switched today they would waive the $5 monthly charge for a year. Sometimes it's good to be a review journalist.

redgumtv

G'day Paddylee,

I can't share your pesermisim. First off, eSims are here to stay and in a couple of years will be the backbone of the Telco industry, if not, the Telcos won't be here. Just about all the flagship phones have eSims now, and why not? Who wants to be dealing in small plastic chips that cost money and time. With eSims you can sign up customers in minutes, remotely, get rid of sales staff that only complicate the issue and get on with making money.

I agree that the Apple experience has fur on it. That's because Apple, as usual, want to keep control. Android is quite different, in fact the opposite and until manufacturers like Samsung develop all encompassing eSims some problems will remain (bands).

As far as supply is concerned, at the moment it's guess work until they get the eSim right and the manufacturer can do away with having two seperate models which is extremely costly. It will always be the eSim model that will survive. It's early days and look at the interest already here.

Wouldn't be surprised to see TPG/Vodaphone dominate this area and if Optus doesn't compete they could be number 3 very soon.

OdensSon

It's a embedded  chip running vurtual ( .Subscriber Identity Module.)  The activation key is not locked on a physical chip. But software key encryption. The cellular network handshake is exactly the same. Soon even the phones will all be e SIM.

Optus could do it easy. The trick is the same no. On 2 differing keys. But again easy to do at the Optus server level as the software is already there . Eg rest of the world

Vodaphone has just announced it for God's sake and there a much smaller player. Come on Optus stop being usual cheapskate. Spend the $ and keep your customers.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
132 Kudos
114 Kudos
81 Kudos
80 Kudos
45 Kudos