cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor Damotion
Occasional Contributor

Re: Galaxy watch 4g is available at telstra is it available on optus 4g???

I wonder if it has something to do with your plan... I guess no point calling Optus as even they dont even known it's live haha.

Highlighted
Contributor i11icit
Contributor

Yep pretty much. Have any of you contacted Optus before and enabled Number Share for Apple (thinking it would work for Samsung)? Thats the only thing i can think of

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Damotion
Occasional Contributor

No, I am on a $105 plan with Note 9. 

0 Kudos
Contributor i11icit
Contributor

Nevermind! A watch update fixed it Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Contributor XS
Contributor

@i11icit There was a watch software update rolled out couple of days ago and i suspect it is related to Optus connectivity.  That's probably why your watch update fixed it.  Optus could be pilot testing and that could be why they don't annouce it yet.  I will possibly be black listed on Optus for spreading the word out here Smiley LOL 

We obviously know about it before the customer service team, so don't try and get support for it yet.  As far as i know you only Android devices with Galaxy wearable app for the remote connection to work on 4G, no iPhones here.  Everyone signing up before end of March will get 12 month Number Share for free.

Nobody abused Dan or meant to offend him personally.  People were upset with Optus communication strategy, that's all.  No hard feelings @Dan_C today we're all happy and thank you for being part of this.  Cheers!

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Andycher
Occasional Contributor

You have to have a Samsung phone to initially set up your 4G.  

I do not take credit for these instructions but they worked for me (got it off a friendly redditor). 

1. Get a hold of a friends Samsung S7 or later.
  2. Insert the sim card from your non-galaxy phone into the samsung phone
  3. Install the Galaxy Wear app if it's not already installed.
  4. On the watch go to settings and select 'Connect to new phone'
  5. Using the Galaxy Wearable app on the samsung phone, pair and set up the watch using the wizard
  6. On the last step, connect to the mobile network and download the eSim. This process should be automatic but fails on non-samsung phones.
  7. After your watch has been connected to the mobile network, switch the sims cards back.
  8. On the watch go to settings, then go to 'Account', then select 'Reset'. Important: DON'T select 'Connect to a new phone' in the settings menu, you just wan't to reset the samsung account.
  9. You should then be warned that the phone will be reset but the mobile network will remain the same. Continue and DO NOT reset the mobile network.
  10. The watch will reset and lose all settings EXCEPT the mobile network.
  11. After reset, you can then pair the watch to your non-samsung phone. The last step of setup involves the phone trying to connect the watch to the mobile network, this step will fail but you'll still have a working network on the watch, with the watch being paired to the correct phone for everything else.

0 Kudos
Contributor XS
Contributor

@Andycher  that's interesting.

after step11, the watch is paired to your iphone via bluetooth while mainting its previously downloaded eSIM.  Have you tried to disable the bluetooth on your phone and test the remote connectivity with the watch on 4g?  Are you able to get calls, SMS and other notifications from your iphone without bluetooth or Wifi connection to the watch?  That 4g remote connection involves Samsung servers and will be interesting to know if it works or still requires a Samung or Android device.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Andycher
Occasional Contributor

@XS

Clarifying, my experience is not with an iPhone, it’s a non Samsung, Android phone (oneplus) running android 8.0

Can confirm using the above method I was able to register my number share whilst connected to the Samsung phone only.  Now the watch works in standalone, tested with BT out of range and also turning off BT.

Dumb question, but can the phone be turned off and only watch used or does primary Optus number have to be connected?

0 Kudos
Contributor XS
Contributor

@Andycher  "Standalone" means the watch is not connected to a phone and won't receive any notification from that phone.  Swipe down on your main watch screen when connected and you will see "Connected using Bluetooth" at the bottom, that's how the watch get's all the notifications (Calls, SMS, Facebook notification, whatsapp..etc). 

The goal is when you leave your phone behind and go out only with the watch for the watch to connect to 4g and from there to your phone and not be "Standalone".  That's the number share service. 

If number share works, when out of range of BT and Wifi the watch will connect to 4g and when you swipe down on the main screen you should see "Connected remotely - YES OPTUS" at the bottom.  Also on your phone the Galaxy Wearable app will show "Connected to Galaxy Watch remotely".    Only then, you can receieve/make calls, SMS and get notifications on your watch while your phone is home.   That also answers your question about the phone having to be switched on.  Yes the phone has to be switched on and connected to receieve and forward the calls, SMS, notification to the watch regardless of the type of connection (BT, Wifi or 4G). (unless you have a separate line with different number for the watch but that's a totally different story).  Correction:  Voice calls can be made in "Standalone - YES OPTUS", that's when the watch is connected to OPTUS but can't reach the primary phone (Phone switched off or in flight mode), but no SMS, emails, social media or other notifications from apps installed on the phone.

Bottom line, if your watch is showing "Standalone" when out of BT range that means the solution you described is not woking, the watch is not connected and you won't be able to get notifications from the phone (that's the purpose of Number Share).  Not sure if you can make voic calls though  I hope that made sense.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Supporter
Occasional Contributor

Hi XS,

I am not sure this is accurate:

Yes the phone has to be switched on and connected to receieve and forward the calls, SMS, notification to the watch regardless of the type of connection (BT, Wifi or 4G). (unless you have a separate line with different number for the watch but that's a totally different story).

With 4G the phone should not need to be on. E.g. I put my phone in "flight" modew and I still can make calls using my watch...

0 Kudos
Top Contributors