cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Galaxy watch 4g is available at telstra is it available on optus 4g???

Co-Signed and appreciate the efforts.  

I am not too confident of anything come out of it but appreciate someone has taken the lead.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I Can't beleive it came down to petitions with Optus, but i appreciate the inititative @Damotion and that's why i signed.

That's sad Optus.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I was hesitant at first, there is bigger issues in life, however I find it extremely frustrating that companies like Optus do whatever they can to lock you into a contract but then fail to provide options to their clients to stay up to date with quickly evolving technology.

In this situation it is even more ridiculous because the apple watch cannot be used with a Samsung smartphone! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I left Optus over this issue despite a short term remaining on my contract. We negotiated a termination which was satisfactory. Here were my issues.

1. I had a Samsung S9+ and Galaxy Watch.

2. I have a 2.5 hour external exercise program (walking) every day (for 20 plus years)

3. I get a number of calls plus text and mail during the program which are important to me.

4. My watch is more convenient than my phone and doesn't impose on group management meetings during exercise.

Challenge: Even if I could connect the two would the watch live up to advertised expectations? Could a Telco provide the service I need?

Firstly, Optus would not supply the service I needed. Secondly, Vodaphone were unsure of their timeline and the technology required. Thirdly, were Samsung aware of the technology required in Australia to connect their phone and handset? In answer to this last question, No. I spent two hours talking to a Samsung tech who couldn't answer how to set up the phone and watch to talk with each other. Best we could do was connect calls via LTE. At this time I had switched to Telstra "One Number" for obvious reasons. ($40p/m for 30Gb data + One Number for 12 months.)

After two weeks I had SMS working fine and finally got email/gMail going. Eventually, my watch has the same capability as my phone but this was after a long conversation with Telstra and even longer conversation with Samsung. Neither Telstra nor Samsung have operating instructions for this setup and it is quite complex. The setup requires adjusting the watches power setup or it will only last a day compared to four days and the whole system takes many days to activate completely.

I'm fortunate, being a tech journalist, having access to both Telstra and Samsung, but this exercise is not for the feint hearted to get it operating as it should. Telstra's notes only offer calls and text, as I was told a number of times when they couldn't figure out what to do (little knowledge of Samsung hardware) and Samsung knew very little about the Telco and didn't really want to know.

One might ask why you would want Samsung rather than Apple setup. Technology wise Samsung is streets ahead of Apple and I've proved that now, although it's taken more than a month. I just hope that both Telstra and Samsung will now prepare setup notes for future customers. I have my doubts.

My point? I hope Optus and Vodaphone stay out of the market (no expertise as yet) or make a commitment to put eSim on top of the technology market in the next year or so when it becomes commonplace or this wing of the communications market will end up like NBN, a big cost to consumers with little benefit.

Finally, we're at the cutting edge of watch/handset technology. Venture in at your own peril. If you're patient you won't have to cancel any contracts and the technology will mature quickly and you could be much happier.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Having read all comments in this thread I'm glad the issue is gaining some traction. It really feels like Optus are testing the waters by limiting the number sharing to the Apple market who I'd imagine are the more brand-loyal consumers. Does it really need to be such a long process though? The advent of eSIM technology is freeing for customers but kryptonite for the telcos and it's so blatant with Optus when you try to dig up any timeline on this transformational update.

Many recent smartphones are eSIM capable, but it seems the conversation is being steered towards wearable devices since it's a smaller market. When a telco demonstrates fear of progress, you are right to wonder what they're so afraid of and it is not fear of losing customers, only profits.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Was assured by the Optus team at the end of October (Optus Store) that the Samsung Galaxy Watch would be supported, hence I ended up signing up to an Optus plan with a Galaxy Note 9.

Come to December I've finally got my Galaxy Watch on the advice from Optus that it would work, and now im here...reading this thread.

Optus were kind enough to offer the cancellation of my contract upon returning my phone however when I tried to sign up at Telstra and Vodafone I was unable to pass the credit check. As such i'm not able to sign up to receive a new phone. I knew that credit was going to be an issue at the time of signing up with Optus (althought it was fine when i signed up with them) but it made that decision of carrier even so important to me at the time and Optus had led me to believe they would support everything I needed - needless to say im kicking myself for not doing my own research and taken Optus word for it.

Heres hoping LTE will be supported in the near future...for now im stuck with a LTE watch with no LTE service 😕

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I was initially told the same thing at the Westfield Warringah Mall store so I purchased the Note 9 and Tab S4.  Now Im pissed off!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi guys, 

All I can say is right now, it's not available. I suggest keeping an eye out for any announcements.

For all official announcements from Optus, please see our media release page. 

I'll leave it at that....

edit* to add,  all of your feedback has been taken into account - I really can't go into any specifics. 

This thread will be updated once official word has come through the appropriate channel. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey guys! 

Stay tuned! Optus will have more to say on the launch of the latest Samsung products in the coming days 🙂 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Dan,

This is great. Now I will be able to take Optus to NCAT for misleading and deceptive conduct if you decide to support Samsung now. Refer to my very specific previous questions.

Can't wait, makes my claim very easy. These are going to be interesting subpoena's

Cheers 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors