cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Galaxy watch 4g is available at telstra is it available on optus 4g???

Hi DanC

That's sort of a round about answer. I assume Optus intends to do nothing at this time? Sad.

The purchase of the Galaxy Watch is a minor consideration because people can buy it and have bought it elsewhere.

What we can't do is hook up to Optus with our existing accounts and this means transferring to Telstra or Vodaphone.

This affects everyone.

Are you saying that Optus will only consider offering the complete service and not simply an eSim connection? That would be a terrible marketing decision.

To whom can we advance this argument?

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I guess that settles it then. 

As soon as my contract expires, I'm off to Telstra. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Dan C for your reply and follow up.

Unfortunately most people on this thread are not going to settle with Social media style of template answers like "keep your eyes on our announcement page" or " "check regularly for our exciting updates"..etc  and the answer you have been given is disappointing to say the least.

Also it looks like the person who wrote that answer didn't read thoroughly or notice that people already purchased the LTE model and are not really concerned about Optus stocking it for sale.

I for example have received my LTE version today and i am intending to make use of all its functionality one way or another.  I know "redgumtv" also has it and at least 3 other friends of mine who happen to be Optus customers.  I heard both Telstra and Vodafone are waiving the subscription fees for "One Number" and "NumberSync" for up to a year depends on the plan if you are a new customer/moving from a different provider.  I will go and check them out in store this weekend.

I think it will be good for everybody (including Optus) if you are able to escalate the issue a bit higher than the person who wrote you that response .  Otherwise, thank you once more for the follow up and wish you a good weekend.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

The local telstra shop in Orange doesn't sell them either and advised to buy from Samsung and then they could connect. People just want it supported. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hi XS,

Sure need to agree with your observation.

I've just been to Vodaphone to try and confirm their start date and best knowledge at the moment is late November.

More importantly, their eagerness to swap me over from Optus led to a post paid offer of 40GB per month for $40.00 or 30GB for $35.00 and NO additional charges for NumberSync for the full twelve months. Not only that, they have a 28 day reversal policy. If you don't like what you get you can void their contract and move elsewhere.

What we need from Optus is a straight out NO, we're not bothered with Samsung eSims or YES, we'll have it in late November. The sale of the Galaxy Watch is purely academic, its the eSIM service we need.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Well, it looks that some Optus customers have got their wish.

It was announced tonight that Boost Mobile has called on the ACCC to launch an investigation to allow eSim phones and watches access to the Australian market. Boost acknowledges that some telcos have started the process in a limited way whilst others are avoiding their commitment to the technology which is uncompetitive. The article goes onto say that by forcing the major telcos to compete on their merits it would usher in a new era of convenience for phone users.

As of today, Optus is the only major carrier not competing across the open market to the disadvantage of their customer base.

No doubt we'll see what happens.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

https://ausdroid.net/2018/10/04/optus-still-evaluating-samsung-galaxy-watch-lte-inclusion-network/

Look, I don't think ACCC will do much.  Even if they do it will be too late for what we have been talking about for the last couple of days.

I also think that eventually Optus will get on board but after they will suffer some brand damage, customers loss and most important after after setting itself behind Vodafone because of the hesitation, slow motion and mellow communication strategy.

At least Vodafone is crystal clear in stating that it is not ready "right now" however, they have a plan, they are working on it, and they are committed to deliver NumberSync service for Galaxy Watch within 2 months (by the end of November).  I see this as a professional, respectful and transparent communication that values their customers compared to "continually evaluating opportunities", "expand the range of eSIM capable devices", "We’ll let our customers know when we have any new developments for eSIM capable devices."..etc  That's obvious fear of commitment

To your point redgumtv, Vodafone has similar plans to Optus if not better in some aspects and they are giving good incentives for people moving with them.  Their coverage also is good (not like how it was few years back).

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I agree and don't really have much interest in creating work for lawyers.

I just found the article interesting on the eve of our discussion. We've obviously got many friends out there. 

I thought that Vodaphone deal looked good and Optus won't offer the service I need so I think the outome is pretty clear. I've got five services two of which have been with Optus since the early 90's which means I need to split them up or do away with my sharing sims.

It's good to hear you have faith in the Vodaphone service. Last time I had a business phone with them (years ago) it was a disaster.

Telcos are going to change substantially over the next twelve months and I would like to be with the winning team. It's a hard one but I need the eSim solution.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

dissappointed in optus not providing esim for galaxy watch.

I have 2 nbn and 3 mobiles accounts with Optus and planning to add a 4th mobile with galaxy watch but looks like vodafone will take my business from now on. Gradually as each accounts end, i will move to vodafone. Unless Optus act quickly, they will lose high value business customers and Voda/Tpg is aggressively aiming to take over. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I'm going for a contract break via TIO. 

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Blog/Introducing-Number-Share-from-Optus/ba-p/316892

The page is misleading and says you can connect wearables with esim. I hesitantly renewed due to a recent deal and this provide the assurance the new galaxy would work. The fact is Optus doesn't support wearables with an esim. It only supports Apple watch. 

I suggest if you were mislead and renewed your contact with this fact in mind you also lodge a complaint and pursue your rights

Top Contributors