Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

GPRS usage seems too high.

My data usage exceeded my 1GB allowance today apparently. I was messaged to say so from Optus and that I will be charged for another gigabyte. Since then another 0.5GB has been used - half a day. Definetly not right. Wifi at home and work so I never get near my 1GB limit normally. Any ideas? My usage on the phone and the Optus app doesn't indicate that useage either. On an iPhone SE if that matters. 
Cheers

Dave

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: GPRS usage seems too high.

Hi there,

Is wifi assist on (settings, mobile data or similar, scroll to the very bottom)?

With the release of iOS 11 you may find its Apple may of pushed download? Check to see if Automatic download is turned on. Settings, iTunes &App Store. 

What Apps do you currently have open?

Cheers Dave

Note..This is an open and public support forum please refrain from posting private/personal information. 😉
I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Go into setttings and reset your data usage counter (Apple unfortunately don't provide any way to set limits etc.)

See what your phone reports it is downloading over the next dayy or two.

You should reset that counter at the start of each month of you plan. That way you can not have to rely 100% on Optus to report usage.

Regards

Peter Gillespie 

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you for the replies. I did a restart of the phone again after I posted and it updated the data counter to show that FB was just under the 1GB limit itself so with everything else would have tipped it over.  Not a big user of FB especially off WiFi but I have read that some apps can screw up and go into a "continous download" mode or suchlike. That would explain the 0.5GB jump for no apparent reason - maybe.

Caaf: Wifi Assist was off as was the iTunes download
Peter: Yes - good idea about using the phone stats. Might need to restart occasionally though it seems.

Cheers

Dave

Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @Dave_F

Have you turned off video auto-play in your Facebook settings? Be default Facebook is set to download and auto-play videos as you scroll through your newsfeed. This can really chew through data. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks Mike-N. That certainly will help. 
For reference:-

To adjust this setting on your iPhone:
  1. Open the Facebook app
  2. Tap More
  3. Scroll down and tap Settings > Account Settings
  4. Tap Videos and Photos > Autoplay
  5. Choose an option
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Excellent guide Dave_F. Thanks for sending that through. I'm not sure what other apps you're using but Instagram has a similar setting but they call it 'use less data'. Information on how to change the setting on Instagram can be found here

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy