cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor atsugnam
New Contributor

Free music streaming, but spotify showing up on usage

I have Free music streaming on my mobile plans, but it's pretty obvious from the usage that the spotify use is showing for that plan. For example 1/3 of my total usage is classified as other (~4GB), and that doesn't include web browsing, Netflix, Amazon, Imgur and Apple store. The majority of use is on my wifes phone, and according to the phone, the majority of mobile data use is spotify.

I'm going to call and ask about it, but unable to call during the day most days, when the accounts people are available...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Moderator Casey_

Re: Free music streaming, but spotify showing up on usage

Hey atsugnam, the data usage you see when you open your My Optus App will be the data used on the account excluding any free streaming. The data usage you see when you open the insights tab includes the data you've used for the month including data used on any free streaming you have active.

0 Kudos
New Contributor tani158
New Contributor

Glad I'm not the only one experiencing this problem - from reading through the forum, there are a significant amount of customers having the same issue. 

I changed my plan to receive data-free music streaming on 26th Dec. 2016, so I received the text on 27th Dec. 2016 saying that the free music streaming is activated. I work 8 hours a day 5 days a week and since the 2712/16 up until 16/1/17, I was streaming music from Spotify during the length of each of my shifts. 

My billing cycle resets on the 22nd of each month.. By 5/1/17, I received a text stating that I had exceeded my 3.5gb of allowed data so Optus had added an additional 1gb for $10. I received the same text on 13/1/17, then again on 16/1/17. 

I then went online to have an Online Chat with Optus and the representative had told me that even though my Spotify usage shows in the Data Breakdown, I shouldn't be charged for my Spotify streaming usage. He advised me that if I find that my final bill total has included the 'free' music streaming from Spotify I should contact Optus again and adjustments would be made to have any additional charges (for Spotify use) waived. 

So I continued to stream music from Spotify during work feeling confident that I wouldn't be charged for any additional data just as I was reassured by the Optus rep during the chat. Also I knew I wouldn't exceed my allowed 3.5gb data usage for the month and my Spotify streaming was free, I rarely use my data for anything and when I'm at home (which is practically every other hour that I'm not at work), I will switch of my data on my phone and connect to the WiFi to browse the internet or whatever. 

Come this morning when I received an email saying that my previous bill is ready for viewing, I noted that I had been charged an additional 3gb for the month - I knew that this was no way possible at all because, as previously stated, I only used my phone for streaming Spotify during work and that a majority of my internet usage was done when I was connected to the WiFi at home. I had a look at my data breakdown Insights and it showed that 59.3% of my data usage was Secure Browsing, while only 16.5% was Spotify. 

So in total, I had apparently used 6.09gb in the month, which I knew was incorrect. I calculated my data usage on the dates that I was at work (streaming from Spotify) - this amounted to 3.43gb. Hopped back onto Online Chat and explained my dilemma to the rep - still not listening/understanding or my concern, this rep had basically told me 'tough luck - pay up of you'll be hit with late fees on each bill until the amount you owe is paid'. Spoke to the supervisor who also brushed it off.. 

In the end, this issue wasn't resolved. All the supervisor did was waive $30 (for the additional 3gb I was charged). 

I have paid higher phone bills before and have no issue with it when I knew that it was my own fault for exceeding my allowed data. But the way the issue was dealt with made me feel that even though I explained that I wasn't an idiot and that I wouldn't be wasting three hours fighting this issue, I was still a stupid customer who was just trying to get out of paying for the extra data. 

I made sure they understood that yes I appreciate having $30 waived, but if this comes up again in my next bill, then we both should know that I AM being charged for my Spotify streaming. Such a hassle to deal with and (kind of) a waste of 3 hours of my night.. 

0 Kudos
Moderator Casey_

Hey tani158, we will need to investigate this by thoroughly looking into your data usage. If you give us permission to do so, can you please PM your mobile number, full name and DOB. The information you were advised is correct. The data usage you see when you open your My Optus App will be the data used on the account excluding any free streaming. The data usage you see when you open the insights tab includes the data you've used for the month including data used on any free streaming you have active. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor Dezza
New Contributor

This is my first month after starting free Spotify streaming, but it shows up in my data! I stopped using it almost completely, but now I'm near the end of the month and 5.5% of my data is attributed to Spotify.

Can a mod respond to explain how this gets fixed please?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Mike-N
RetiredModerator

Hello @Dezza. It sounds like you're checking your usage in the My Optus App? If you take a look at the Data Breakdown page of the My Optus App, you’ll find a note that states '...Breakdown displays your total data usage, inclusive of any eligible data free services (e.g. included music and video streaming sevices) which you are not charged for. This page displays your total rather than billed usage. Therefore, you will see Spotify on this page but the usage is not being deducted from your monthly allowance. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Top Contributors