cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Free MSG stating I will be charged for something I didn't subscribe to.

Hi Jo,

You've been scammed. The scammers use a legal product to chip small amounts of money from people. Would you blame Mazda if thieves broke into your home and then drove away in a CX-5?

Contrary to most spam/scam advise you should send STOP to the scammers. Its a legal scam and they follow the rules so as not to attract the attention of statutory bodies. Unfortunately the scam is usually a 'subscription' so sending STOP cancels it but you will get billed for all outstanding amounts.

Presumably, you've read the rest of this thread above and know what to do to have the fees reversed?

NB. You presumably got stung prior to Jan 1 2018? as optus has apparently shut the scam down since then.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor jkwarrener
New Contributor

The thread is so long, I have missed precisely what is the best course of action? Can you advise what I should do?

I got my last msg yesterday! And that was what I discovered my huge bill 😞 😞 

Thanks for responsing. 

cheers, Jo

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

The too hard basket is what the scammers depend on. Not a criticism BTW, scams invariably work best when they exploit basic human nature.

So here's the short version (unfortunately there's still more to do on your end though Smiley Wink)

Simply ask Optus (not this forum) to dispute the claim. Also ask them to set your premium SMS amount to $0 a month. 

That should see these charges refunded by the next bill and will stop it happening again.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor jkwarrener
New Contributor

Thanks for that. I hope so.

to your point about not blaming Optus, with your car thievery analogy. I understand what you mean. But at the same time, I still think they have a responsibility to their valued customers, especially if it's a repeated offence. Much like when my credit card was stolen, Commonwealth bank reversed ALL charges when these purchases were against my will.  I hope Optus come through for me.

Thanks again - Jo

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Believe you me, Optus culpability in facilitating this scam bordered on collusion IMO. But that's another story.

From Jan 1 this year they've finally shut it down on their end. They've also been (mostly) arranging for a refunding on request for a while now.

You shouldn't have any issues.

Regards

Peter Gillespie 

0 Kudos
New Contributor gb83
New Contributor

This has just hapenned to me. I will be calling Optus soon. But your Mazda analogy is absolutely rediculous! Does Mazda get paid from someone stealing your car? NO. Does Optus get paid by these scammers? YES. Does Optus do its due diligence to stop this hapenning as its being going on for years now? NO. Fact is Optus make money from these scammers, it's not illegal so Optus won't stop it unless they are required by law. Sorry if I'm sounding angry, I AM!

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

As I said, it bordered on collision (past tense)

Before you get too het up perhaps check if you have been charged anything. Optus no longer pass on these fees. There's nothing to stop scammers still sending you SMS though.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors