cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Free MSG stating I will be charged for something I didn't subscribe to.

You will likely be charged a bit more (these scams are 'subscriptions') so when you cancel the full amount is due.

Simply ask Optus (not this forum) to dispute the claim. Also ask them to set your premium SMS amount to $0 a month. 

That should see these charges refunded and will stop it happening again (Even if you click on the 10 fatest anorexics facebook link one day)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor SusiR
Occasional Contributor

Hi this just happened to me.  Most annoyed.  I sent a message saying STOP but then tried to ring the number.  It was an American number with a recorded message.  It had an option to opt out then asked for more details so I hung up.  How can this happen when I haven't authorised anything with Optus.

0 Kudos
Moderator Marie

Hey @SusiR,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this.

Sorry to hear that this has been the experience you've had.

I'd recommend having a chat with our Customer Care team and asking them to set your Content Service's spent limit to $0 and to dispute any charges you've received with the Third Party Content provider.

The Third Party provider will then directly contact you to discuss the charges and can apply a credit.

Hope this helps.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Johnti
Occasional Contributor

I also have been conned by this I was browsing Facebook, saw a sponsored movie star news type page, clicked on it and started clicking the "continue" button to read the next articles with a new page but always the same "continue" button I clicked it on the third or fourth page and instantly received this text FreeMsg: Tamove subscription costs $6.99/wk for 300 games/apps. 50 vids. Optout send STOP to 19789228 HELP:1800985068 http://au.tamove.mobi/ and also this text from Optus Your balance is less than $5. Track your usage with the My Optus app. Download the app at optus.com.au/pp-app There was no informed consent in regards to the subscription, it's a pure con, phoning Optus now to report it and follow up legal
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Johnti

Unlike many cons, the proceedure for stopping future attempts and for getting your money back is fairly straight forward (although annoying). 

Its not really a problem that has an obvious legal remedy unfortunately (which is why the scam has lasted so long). The ACCC took a good look at the industry and scam a few years back, but that was when the amounts were $1000's and the refunds never given easily. The ACCC at least stamped out the worst excesses but sadly wrote itself a glowing report of commendation and has vacated its responsibilities since (allowing a small cottage industry worth millions to take its place).

The scam now works by usually only taking small amounts (<$100) and anyone who complains automatically gets their money back. No doubt any leagl action would result in only a similar level of recompense and punishment. Thankfully the bigger Telcos are shutting down the worst excess soon.  

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Johnti
Occasional Contributor

NB: the site wouldn't even let me use the word!!! so I had to put it in brackets and spaced! This is how far and bad corporate rule has become...even our own words are controlled Can't they just get the police or some other govt legal and (c r i m i n a l) law representative to just investigate so they can see for themselves the reality of it and then find the phone number responsible and arrest them? Pretty sure they really can They don't seem to have any problem handing it over to a debt collection agency, charging exorbitant legal and paper fees, and adding a "black" on your credit rating for 7years, when my family member goes $3.48 overdrawn on her account Why is it that the consumer gets fined 2000%+ and branded (c r i m i n a l) for 7years because of a minor oversight but a business or company of any size can just consciously and intentionally rort consumers en masse and rort them to the extent that they lie so much that even when they're vigilant and paying attention it still succeeds, and yet they receive no forced ceasing of activity or punishment? I wonder how fast they'd stop if they had every one of their $6.99 con handed to a debt collection agency fining them the same way consumers are? Which is why we all are prepaid with no commitment now It's almost like the business's and policing body's have common interests in ripping people off or something, where's the justice or fair common ground? Maybe we'll just have to use their greed and inhumane reptile minds to turn themselves against themselves? What about a govt debt collection agency for consumers against businesses? I can already see the corporate sector rubbing it's grubby hands...
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I stumbled across the crimina1 ban recently too (I think I describes something Optus did as "almost crimina1")

Obviously you've got a history with Optus there. Smiley Happy Prepaid sounds like a good idea (plus they have the benefit of no 'helpful' un asked for top ups up to $1500 in a month. Also unused data can usually be rolled over to the next month)

FWIW I do think we have a pretty good consumer protection legal frame work (for example this scam is easily reversed and blocked these days). 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor mstolly
New Contributor

I have also just received this text after hitting some click bait in Facebook.  I SMS'd "STOP" back in only a minute, but my Optus account had already been charged $6.99 plus another $0.25 (for no reason).  I have now set my Premium SMS limit to zero and 'queried' both charges via the OptusZoo site.  Optus Moderator, is that all I need to do?  How long until the fees get reversed?

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

@mstolly it sounds like you've followed the correct steps to organise a refund. If it isn't applied by your next bill, please raise this directly with billing on Live Chat to escalate.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor jkwarrener
New Contributor

Hi there,

I just had the exact same thing happen to me. I started getting these weird Spam like messages from TAM TIME, and I ignored them, thinking there were junk. Upon a few more, I finally replied with STOP. I didn’t want to send anything initially thinking that was the scam. But unbeknownst to me, I was charged every time I received the msges! I just had a quick look at my app and my bill is DOUBLED. I am livid.

Who can I speak to to reverse this?? I signed up for nothing. I hardly use the websites as they are. The only online component I use is the app on my phone to check my data usages. I NEVER signed up to some weird international TAM TIME scam. There is no way I’m paying for these. I changed to Optus a year ago because of the value for money. Yet I, and many many others it seems, gets scammed in this fashion. It’s frankly disgusting. Who can I speak to??

Thanks - Jo

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Top Contributors