cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor AHLF
Occasional Contributor

Re: Free MSG stating I will be charged for something I didn't subscribe to.

Hi Katrina, thank you for that.  The reason I didn't call that number was that I didn't know if it was genuine or not as it came in a text I thouight might be spam.  Suspcious aren't I?!  But it happens so much and it is so hard to know whether or not to trust anything that arrives unsolicited.  I will do the same now, so thanks again.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I wouldn't recommend it. Send STOP and that [i]might[/i] work.

Either way I'd almost guarantee you'll recieve further fees next month. These scams usually subscribe you to a "x month subscription" of their service and cancelling early brings the charges forward.

Anyway, Good luck

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Peter.  Sending STOP didnt work and I called them.  A voice tree robot voice told me I have no account with them so I guess the Optus shop guy the other day must have aet my extra limit to zero.  I will certainly be checking carefully next bill.  Still no phone call from Optus to hear my complaint.....

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

The biggest trick Premium Scammers make is convincing people they're legitimate. Call them, ask them to stop, press 5 to unsubscribe, threaten them with the TIO, etc. 

They're scam artists. There are solutions but chatting with them isn't one of them.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Shauna
RetiredModerator

Hi @AHLF - Disappointing to hear you haven't heard back yet. I'd be happy to look into this further for you. Could you please send me a private message with your mobile number, full name and DOB? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Shauna that would be good.  I don't know how to PM you though - please could you advise?

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Click on her name and you'll get options. Note response times from Optus staff vary widely so you may get an immeadiate reply or wait until tomorrow.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks I worked it out about 5 seconds later!  Interesting segment on this issue in The Checkout on ABC last night.  ACCC website also very good. Can't believe these scams have been happening for so long despite their obvious problems.  

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Great show the CheckOut (My 10 year old loves it strangely enough)

They did a good Premium SMS skit a little while back too - here (first segment)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor sammymac
New Contributor

This has just happened to me and I can tell you exactly how it happened. I clicked on a random thing on my Facebook newsfeed about celebrities that have turned down roles.  I had to click on the arrow to get to each picture and before I knew it I had somehow subscribed to smart viral and had received a text message.

I replied to it with stop but I'm still concerned that I will be charged the $6.99 every week. Optus, how can I fix this? Thank you

0 Kudos
Top Contributors