cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Ronky
New Contributor

Free MSG stating I will be charged for something I didn't subscribe to.

Hey Everyone/Anyone, I just received an SMS from a number 19789114 stating: FreeMSG: You've subscribed to Smart Viral costing you $6.99/ wk for 20 videos. au.smartviral.mobi Optout SMS STOP to 19789114 HELP 1800793904 I did not knowingly subscribe to anything from Smart Viral, who ever the crap they are. Does anyone know what this is and will this start being included on my Optus bill? How can this happen when I did not willingly press any buttons to accept this? Do i need to call OPTUS direct to get this stopped? Is this just a sam waiting for me to OPTOUT? Any information here will be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
46 Replies
Crowd Champion caaf
Crowd Champion

Re: Free MSG stating I will be charged for something I didn't subscribe to.

I've escalated your thread to grab the attention of a Optus rep.. 

Cheers Dave

Note..This is an open and public support forum please refrain from posting private/personal information. 😉
I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Its essentially a legal service that gets abused. 

Respond STOP as mentioned (it may or may not work, but it won't hurt)

When you get in touch with Optus they should be able to reverse the charges and block it. Also request they reduce your PREMIUM SMS SUBSCRIPTION LIMIT to $0. That should stop it happening again 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor Jojee
New Contributor

I also started getting the same messages a month back. I thought its a spam and just ignored it. Today I received my last month's bill and I can see amount debited. Going to call Optus. Painful - I didn't even know something like this can deduct money without any concent from the user.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Adi07
New Contributor

I have received similar message today . I did send back 'STOP' immediately and got a response that no further charges will be applied. Let me know, what can I do about this ?

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Read my comment above. 

STOP appears to have worked. But otherwise get Optus to sort it as mentioned.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Moderator Vicky

Hi @Ronky and @Jojee - apologies about the late reply there. Can I get you to confirm if you've had a chance to view more information regarding content charges on our website here → http://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/content-faqs-spend-control?requestType=NormalRequest&id=...? If you weren't aware that you have been subscribed to them, what I can do is place a barring on it for you and raise a case so that they can get in contact in regards to those charges. Can I get you to send through your full name, DOB and service number for privacy reasons?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Jojee
New Contributor

Quick update on this... The STOP text to both the numbers mentioned in the SMS didn't work for me. The message deliveries failed for some reason. I got this finally sorted by contacting Optus - reverted the charges and requested to reduce the PREMIUM SMS SUBSCRIPTION LIMIT to $0.

0 Kudos
Moderator Vicky

@Jojee - Ah I see. Glad to hear that one of our guys was able to give you a hand with this. If you still wish to dispute the charges do feel free to send us a PM and we can get it raised for you. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor AHLF
Occasional Contributor

This happened to me too, here is a synopsis of my day, today!  I thought the first few texts from 11 April onwards might be non-genuine/phishing SMSs so didn't reply STOP.  After a few more SMSs, I did text STOP and got no response to that.  Checked phone bill today and saw that three of these $6.99 payments have been taken out of my account.  Spend ages on the Optus website trying to find a way to talk to a person, searched for a helpline number and eventually found one on Google, but just got various electronic options.  Went to an Optus shop and the assistant put me onto a helpline where I could talk to a person atraight away.  He said that I must have clicked a 'yes' button somewhere on a website or app.  I have not clicked any button as far as I am aware - and is clicking one button Optus's definition of a fair and informed consumer contract? The helpline person said he would ask Optus to call me in the next few days to discuss my complaint.  Post a message if you'd like to hear the outcome.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors