Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Form Of Identification??

Hello I'm Dani I'm 16 almost 17 and have a Part time job and have saved up some cash.

Now At my house i have no unlimited internet and its really hard to get online and search the net its extremely hard for me i just have my i pad which has culluar 3-4G on it and i recharge that as my data... I know right im so jelwous of people that have unlimited internet!!

Anyways i saw that Optus was doing that BYO sim 100G thing for a limited time and i wanted to get straight on board and buy that right away as ke recharging curretly is sorta like 10bukes is 1Gig of data so this for me is god! 

Anyways as i was going through check out you need to have soke sort of Id but i dont have any of the followijg you can choose from i dont have my licence yet and im not an international person nor do i have a passport so im pretty much screwed please can anyone help i really need to order this asap and have this much data but im just stuck on this pleaseee someone help!! 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Re: Form Of Identification??

Hi

Ring your local Optus store and explain your situation.   Have you any photo ID of any sort?  If you have plus your birth certificate this should be enough for the store to verify your ID.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Isn't the 100G plan a post paid service therefor making it a contract? If so, you need to be 18 in Aus to sign up to a contract as far as I knew. Any chance a relative would be willing to sign up for you?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@DaniManHas

First up, I suggest slowing down. These plans involve lots of money and contracts that last years. They can be good but their are usually pitfalls. Have you read the CIP (Critical Information Paper) that comes with every plan that details things like cancellation fees, who owns any equipment, data speeds, etc.?

Second, what plan are you talking about? The largest BYO SIM deal at the moment appears to be for 25Gb of data for $70 a month (not at all cheap). Are you refering to Home Wireless Broadband? (Like this) - its $90 a month but has 200Gb of data? It doesn't require a SIM I believe.

The deal is limited time, but likely to be around a while longer (and knowing Optus will be replaced by a similar one or even better one when it runs out.)

At your age you should be getting a recognised ID card. It may involve a few forms and a visit to the city but its pretty straight forward. Look to get a KeyPass from Oz Post. Unfortunately it needs one of those Categoty A ID documents so you'll need to get one of those first. I think the cheapest and easiest is to get your Birth Certificate. You only need second level documents like 

Two of: Credit card? Medicare card? (You'll be on listed your parents card), Student Card?

Plus a bank statement with your name and address on it?

You can get photocopies of these documents certified by a chemist (for free). Or take them into the centre and get it processed on the spot.

Apply Here. Cost will be $32.

Getting your own identity is a hassle but also a right of passage Smiley Happy

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@petergdownload you might be keen on the latest deal. BYO $70 for 140GB on 12 month contract or $70 for 100GB month to month here

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@SamSam,

Gosh Optus is a big place - I keep wandering into new rooms Smiley Happy .

These plans really can't be great for an already congested mobile network? Optus goes to some length to limit its home broadband wireless network (allowing only 6-12Mbps download speeds.) Yet here is a similar amount of data at full 4G rates?

Seems like a good deal if you simply want to get around these restrictions - although I'd be very carefull with setting data limits as if you hit 140Gb then the forced $10 for each extra Gb could get expense very fast.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

They really are crazy high limits which deliver great value for money IF the network can handle it.

I haven't heard much about network congestion from a mobile point of view just yet though? At least not on here anyway. I would spend 95-98% of my time in metro areas so my personal experience would be very limited but across the 3 major cities I frequent I generally am fine with coverage and throughput no matter what time it is. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I agree mobile coverage (speeds) seems pretty good, however I do very little bulk transfers - most mobile usage is quick bursts of small amounts of data. There is obviously a limit to the amount of data the 4G tech can fit into the current spectrum and while that seemed to be being hit a lot a while ago it seems the system is largely handling the bandwidth. This upper limit has definitely kept a floor price under mobile plans. 

A lot of 4G tech has been about implimenting better systems to handle the flow of data (rather than just fit more data in). The dividend in this appears to be slowly (and here quickly) increasing data quotas rather than cheap plans with the same data.

140Gb for $70 seems like the MyRepublic offer of 1Gb NBN speeds for one suburb. Unaffordable but manageable across the whole customer base. The next Optus tier down of $35 only provides 15Gb and we'll probably see a reversion to that in the next week.

I suppose we need to keep in mind that Optus is looking to maximise profits. $40 a month is the current popular sweet spot. So how to get these people paying $80 instead? The cost to Optus in the offer is $0. The $40 extra is pure bottom line.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos