cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

First bill devastation

I am just about to cry.

I only got my new phone & plan with Optus last week, and already I'm being billed. 

The bill says 6 Nov to 5 Dec, and when I went online in the chat they said this is a deposit. No where on this bill does it mention that it's a deposit. I can't find anywhere in my contract or the terms where optus tells you this will happen.

I am so close to complaining, I nearly contacted the TIO today, this seems so incredibly dodgy. 

I was so happy a week ago, everything was great, the sales person in the store was the best experience ever - now I come home to this, I am so incredibly disappointed. There's no help online, you either have to call (too late for someone who works full time) or send a LETTER (are we in the dark ages??) and the chat team really don't seem to know what's going on. You have to cancel chats and start again a few times to get someone who understands. Can someone please clear this up?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: First bill devastation

Its decidedly unclear what you are refering to.

Optus, like most service companies, bill one month in advance. 

End of the day you will owe Optus for the months you use their service. 

Your paid up for this month (if you pay)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Im referring to recieving a bill for 6th Nov to 5th Dec due on 24th Dec even tho i only got my phone a week ago

Chat people said i will have to pay this but also still pay the same period again in 20 days when my monthly bill comes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Ah. Thanks. Makes more sense.

The word 'deposit' is a bit of a misnomer. Optus routinely charge for the month ahead. They also routinely charge the first two months up front on plans I believe. Its not a desposit just payment for the first two months. The last month of your contract has no bill (as you've already paid for it)

As to when the charges start occurring, that's less clear. Generally if its a totally new contract then the billing cycle will start the day you activate the SIM. If its some sort of continuation of another plan then Optus are providing the service contracted even if you don't have a phone to use it.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thabks, Peter. Its good to have a coherent response- much appreciated. 

So rather than being charged this period again my next bill will be from Dec to Jan?

Would you know where abouts if anywhere in the terms it talks about this? Just so i can keep track at the end and make sure i get my money back. (it makes me nervous)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

The same thing happened to me - nothing said in the contract about a deposit nor when I made enqiries about all up costs per month. In the years I've been with Optus, its customer service has deteriorated, Ive been overcharged for data several times and its not transparent.  I'm lodging a complaint with TIO.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I have been with Optus for a decade or more & I have never been billed for a deposit until now. Deposit is the term used by Optus. When I asked about getting a new phone and different contract, and total monthly cost, nobody mentioned a deposit, nor was it cited in the contract. Optus and many other telcos, are acting like banks in not being transparent & skimming money off customers by overcharging for data or services not requested by the consumer eg I signed up for 20GB data and was billed for 37gb! Iwill be phoning TIO tomorrow.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors