Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
New Contributor Will2478
New Contributor

Faulty referbished phone

Hi I got my phone sent away about a month ago and they sent me back a refurbished phone as soon as I got that phone there was something wrong with it, it would turn off at 50% battery for no reason at all I've had the phone for a month now, I cancelled my plan on the 17th of January and went to pre-paid the next day my phone stopped working I went into my local Optus store and they said there was nothing they could do about it that it was my fault and that the phone wasn't under warranty any more I was just wondering what I can do. I need my phone for work I don't understand how it can be out of warranty I only received the referbished phone a moth ago
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Faulty referbished phone

Warranties generally apply to a set time period. So for x years you're covered and then you're not - the warranty doesn't start again when you swap it over. How long have you had the phone?

Then there's Optus Insurance - did you claim under this?

Separate to this are the Australian Consumer Laws. An expensive iPhone would reasonably be required to work for more than 2 years before failing. Optus would need to repair, replace or refund (your choice) in the face of a major fault like this.

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/repair-replace-refund

Read the info and try again using a different tack.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Faulty referbished phone

Good advice from Peter.

It's a bit challenging without having visibility of the service/account/repair order.

Did you pay any fees to move from Postpaid to Prepaid, Will2478?

If not, that sounds like your likely two year contract had ended and so had the warranty.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors