Searching...

Mobile

False promises

catdog

So I sign up to a contract 12mths ago with the option to upgrade. Last week I go into optus to upgrade and they say there is a small scratch on screen you can't upgrade? What the? It's 12 months old of course there is one or two light scratches. If optus isn't prepared to allow you a trade up with my phone in very good condition they need to explain that it is unlikely they'll let you trade up on signing. I only originally signed up for this option. Secondly despite being told on sign up I'd be able to change to any plan, the one I wanted is not available for trade up customers. What a crap deal now you tell me I can only trade up to a full price plan? Information they should have given out at sign up. Optus has now lost me as a customer. Anyone else experienced similar dodgy tactics from optus? 

Re: False promises

petergdownload

The trade up policy is fairly well detailed in the CIS for all plans. Essentially it allows you to swap the phone, not the plan. Cost is $99. What's not made clear is you have to resign for another 24 months but otherwise its fairly well presented. If you sign a binding contract for $1000's of dollars I suggest you read the CIS very carefully.

That said, a small scratch should not disqualify a trade up. The Optus site makes it clear its within bounds

is not cracked (including the touchscreen) and does not have any severe scratches (normal wear and tear such as light marks and scratches are okay).

However its pretty subjective as you've discovered. Perhaps take it to another store for evaluation? 

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted

catdog

Thanks for the reply Peter. My interpretation of a qualifying phone "in good working order" well and truly qualifies my against optus own guidelines. The talk of broken and cracked screens not qualifying not a mere scratch or two. When I asked for someone higher up the chain to complain to they told me decision was final. I went to optus complaints and like you said they told me to go to another store. Given that store is 35mins away they obviously don't want my future custom. 

I was not aware of the trade up options only being for phone as that was never explained to me. Correct I should have read the terms and agreements but you'd think any competent optus sales person should be able to tell you something as important as that on signing. It must be a training issue however because just last week on optus chat I was told I can sign to any plan. I still have the transcript for that conversation. I suspect noone at optus will care but it's either incompetence or deceitfulness on optus behalf and I'm annoyed noone at optus will even listen to me.

petergdownload

It does seem you can get different answers from different people at Optus. I agree that Optus should be making it clearer exactly what people are signing up for. Documentation like the CIS and specific contract terms should be handed to potential customers in store. Total costs for the term of the contract made clear as well as any break fees. But even if that happened, most customers are generally looking at two numbers - monthly cost and monthly data. 

FWIW without seeing the transcript, its possible the "you can change plan" was inadvertent - you can, it just involves paying out the phone and any early termination fee etc. Not usually an economic path but it is a path none the less. 

I hope you get your phone properly sorted. If its not cracked then it should be returnable. Worst case scenario Optus will charge you $229 (although it may be cheaper to get the glass swapped over yourself). But that's worst case.

Peter Gillespie

akshays1001

Hi Guys,

I have switched to optus from vodafone by cancelling the contract and paying $150 for contract breach.

In the two months that I have used optus I have had a headache. The bill plans have never been what was promised in the store. The porting was promised to take place within 48hrs but took 2 weeks. I was promised $120 store accessories and airpods free if I get an iphone with a sim and a extra sim (total monthly plan-$102) but I am charged $15 dollars every month for accessories on top of the sim charges-$122 in total. I was never told that the Iphone is not ownership and I will have to hand it back in 2 years.

I hve been chatting online with Optus for ages. Got a call last week from Optus saying you will have to ask the store to leave a note on the account wherein it states that the accessories were promised free. It is their internal problem but they would not solve it by communicating themselves but are asking me to walk to store and solve it for them. Ridiculous!!

I will never recommend Optus to any of my friend.  

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
143 Kudos
129 Kudos
120 Kudos
79 Kudos
72 Kudos