Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Optus Call Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

False advertising

Can Optus please explain how on their website on the phone selection screen viewing the Huawei mate 10 pro it states underneath 'up to 256GB microSD support’ but then by clicking on the phone and looking at the specifications, under expandable memory it states 'N/A’? This is clearly an error on Optus's behalf but as I have pre-ordered this phone before reviewing the finer specifications, I kind of feel that I have been mis-lead. Please view the Optus website and verify this error for me.

16 Replies
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: oooooooooo

Yeah 'me loves to visit here'. Optus, what a joke, get some random goose to address any issues u have with them

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: False advertising

Don't thinks its false advertising, but its dead to rights a mistake. 

You're fully entitled to a refund if you want to request it. I'd take a snapshot of the screen if you get the chance. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Screen dumps been taken, sent to ACCC. Optus have exclusive rights to this phone, u can see by pricing structure and the fact this phone outright costs $1099 they stand to make more money from the sale of these phones as opposed to any iPhone. Is it an honest mistake or false advertising to build up sales.  As I brought with pretense of being able to build up to contain 384 gigs but can't, I believe I'm entitled to some form of compensation but try talking to someone let alone getting an answer from Optus.  Hopefully ACCC can point out the error of their ways.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

The ACCC generally have little interest or the resources to handle individual complaints. Especially where there's no indication that consumer rights have been breeched. The ACCC compile statistics and only step in if an issue gets quite severe.

As mentioned, The lack of the stated storage card certainly meets the definition of a 'major failure' so contacting Optus and requesting a refund should be quite straight forward. Statutory rights aren't there to ensure a deal is kosher, only that if it isn't, there are remedies. 

Regards 

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

When filing a complaint with the ACCC you are informed that they will reply to your case within two weeks, so your answer of 'they have little interest or the resources' is obviously incorrect.  I don't see this issue as just me getting duped but as Optus clearly labelling the specs of a phone to be greater than what they are.  I believe most people would see this as false advertising.  Would you not expect a phone company that sells phones to quote the specs of a phone that they sell correctly?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

So you got an auto-generated "We have recieved your email" email citing a two week delay?  I think the jury is still out on their interest or resources. Smiley Happy

Strictly speaking it is false advertising (its advertising and the information is incorrect)

But then it becomes a matter of intent. You seem to believe that Optus have purposely posted a blatant falsehood to drive sales? In these cases I find ineptitude is usually a more likely reason than conspiracy Smiley Happy There are pretty harsh penalties for deliberate deception and companies the size of Optus have a lot to loose trtying to get one over their customers.

FWIW the 256Gb claim is correct when referring about the Huwaei Mate 10. The headline graphic has obviously been manually put together so possibly some webguy misread a Huwaei Mate 10 versus a Huwaei Mate 10 Pro. The actual specifications are also correctly listed (that doesn't absolve the error, but does suggest it wasn't purposeful). Also Optus don't make much money selling handsets (possibly even a loss). They make a profit from selling plans and provide discounted handsets as an inducement.

All up its something to be rectified and the remedy should be straight forward. Optus should definitely be looking to fix the web page ASAP. I'll ping a moderator so they can get it fixed @Dan_C. You haven't said if you want to return your phone? If you do then either drop into a store or contact LIVECHAT and request a complete refund as the item was incorrectly advertised.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @Dikkibird, sorry to see the issue here! Would you please be able to provide the screenshots of the incorrect information along with the URL so I can raise it with our marketing department? On my end only the P10 shows the expandable memory on the phone selection screen so this may of already been updated.

A refund/contract release would be no issue if misleading information was presented at POS. This can be organised via the channels Peter has listed above, but please feel free to send me a private message if you have any issues and I can follow up.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yes, auto generated with a receipt no. Would I not be calling them and accusing them of 'false advertising' if they don't get back to me? 

False advertising, we agree on something (and Optus have agreed and come to the party too).

Of course I would imply intent regardless of what I believe, I'm trying to get some form of compensation.

Mate 10 & mate10 pro are completely different phones, your comparison is irrelevant.

First post acknowledges the conflicting specs, so, thanks for reminder?

Do the maths, outright phone cost subtracted from smallest phone plan shows more from sale of this phone than others.

Why would I devulge to you my intent of refund or compensation when I'm still in discussions with optus?  *removed content for breaching community guidelines*.  Anyways, u can see by username I have no intentions of hanging around hear and doing optus' dirty work for the next 3 years. I"ll let u know how I go with the ACCC, may help u give a more informed opinion.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Happy to help out however I can here @Dikkibird. If you want to discuss compensation, please send through the evidence I have requested above. You mentioned this has been sent to the ACCC, but if you send it through to me I can complete your enquiry within 24 hours.

I completely understand if you choose to use other channels, I just want anyone reading this thread to know that if evidence of misleading information is provided in regards to your contract, we can 100% discuss alternative options moving forward.

As you have posted in a public, community forum, @petergdownload has responded in an attempt to help you reach a resolution. As per community guidelines, please "Be respectful and courteous of others. Respect the fact that everyone has different opinions. Debates should be healthy and not offensive". I have removed some content from your final paragraph in regards to this.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy