cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Jcjcjc
Occasional Contributor

False advertising on optus app

My postpaid mobile contract ends next month. The Optus app advertised "get ready. upgrade early - plus, all your remaining handset fees on us."  I clicked on the promotion banner and placed an online order to upgrade my service for a new contract. I then received emails to call in regards to the order (no one tried to call me, I had to call them and wait 30 minutes to get through but that is another story), and was informed that I was liable to pay remaining handset fees. I explained the promotion via the app but no one in online orders had heard of the promotion and a resolution could not be reached so I cancelled the order. Optus should not advertise a promotion that they cannot then honour.  When the plan ends I now plan to change providers as a result after wasting a lot of time achieving nothing.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: False advertising on optus app

That is strange. Occassionally Optus misprints offers so perhaps this is a case where the word "Handset" was incorrectly used. Normally Optus might waive the last months contract (you actually still pay for the month, they just let you trade up a month early). Handset fees are generally always payable for a cancellation - there's obviously actual out of pocket cost to Optus on those. Example here

One of the mods might alert the OPtus App or promotions people though.

Peter Gillepsie

0 Kudos
Moderator Ev_

@Jcjcjc - sorry to hear about what's happened here. Did you have a screenshot of the offer from your My Optus app? If you can send through a private message to us here, we're happy to take a further look into this for you and get this forwarded on to the relevant teams. We'll need your full name, DOB and account number. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Yes I have a screenshot. However there seems to be no way to message or post an image on this forum. I will message the account details.  Thankyou.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Jcjcjc,

If you hit REPLY then one of the menu icons is INSERT IMAGE.

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor

Screenshot_20180610-191749.jpg

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks I needed to change to desktop view you can't from mobile view

0 Kudos
Moderator Ev_

Thanks for sending that through! I've replied to your private message with more info 🙂 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors