Searching...

Mobile

Accepted Solution

FAULTY PHONE from Day 1. Replaced with a refurbed FAULTY PHONE. Told to return for a an

Mpow
DAY 1 I strolled out of the Optus store about 3 months ago pretty chuffed with the look of my new Samsung S7 phone, which I use for business as a finance professional. [I will also take this opportunity to say I have been an Optus mobile customer for the past 14 YEARS STRAIGHT] DAY 2 After the 5th straight person (mostly clients) I had spoken to on the phone told me that there was a considerable echo down the phone, I thought, surely it can't be my brand new phone. I thought I would investigate further in case it was a simple fix. After an initial Google search it was established that this was a relatively common problem, so now started the troubleshooting which involved the following.. DAY 4 Going into an OPTUS STORE to talk to someone about my dodgy phone. I was told it could be the SIM card. Got a new SIM and left the store after being told it could take between 15 min - 4 hrs to activate. I was pretty hopeful that this may be an easy fix to my problem.. apparently not. WEEK 2 Samsung Troubleshooting - went through comprehensive Samsung trouble process. Factory resets etc (losing essential contacts in the process!). No fix. WEEK 3 Call OPTUS to say I have done all troubleshooting. My options now: a) take it to the 1 place in Perth that can authorise a repair or replacement (which I attempted to do before leaving after waiting for half an hour) or b) send it back via a satchel Optus would send to me. By this stage I was sick of dealing with it so decided to send it back. Asked if I could get a loan phone? Apparently NONE AVAILABLE IN PERTH! To which I was offered to go pay for a cheap prepaid Optus mobile and they would reimburse me. How am I supposed to transfer data to a phone like that? MONTH 2 SEND BACK PHONE - 3 business days after arranging it, I finally receive the satchel to send the phone away for warranty. Apparently it is handled by a company called BOOMERANG AFTER SALES CARE. The satchel they send to send the phone back is a standard registered post satchel with a sticker stating it could only go on road - which means a week from WA! Looking for some sort of contact details to see if I can express post it or find another way (as I cannot do without a phone for business for 2 weeks!). No contact details anywhere. No phone number. No email address. No physical address. No ABN. More Google searching confirms my suspicion.. this is a ghost brand which is actually Optus (Singtel) - I assume trying to "pass the buck" from Optus. I decide to send back to phone. A WEEK LATER The phone arrives at it's destination (probably OPTUS HQ). I receive an SMS message the following day to tell me my Warranty claim had been approved an a "replacement phone" was on it's way. After 3 more business days the "replacement phone" finally arrives. The phone is a "REFURBISHED" (stated on packaging). In other words, someone else's DODGY PHONE!. 2 DAYS LATER I tried to take a photo. The camera doesn't work. FML. It doesn't focus/take a clear photo (and yes, I have removed the protective plastic cover). I have reset the settings. I have had Samsung's for the past 5 years plus an S7 for a couple of months. I know how to work the camera. It does not work. MONTH 3 I CALL OPTUS. Guess what the solution is.. send it back via BOOMERANG/OPTUS. So here goes the process again - 3 business days to receive the satchel, 5-6 business days to send back to phone, 1-2 days for assessment, 3-4 business days to wait to receive SOMEONE ELSE'S DODGY REFURBISHED PHONE and hope for the best! THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!! It will be 4 months before I MIGHT get a working phone. Once again, I will have to backup my data and hope that I don't lose it, struggle to run my business using a basic smartphone. I understand Samsung policy does not allow a dodgy phone to be swapped in store for a replacement, that is out of Optus' hands. What is in Optus' hands is the prehistoric and drawn out process. Surely you can empower a store manager to make a decision to swap the phone and send it back to BOOMERANG and they can then pursue Samsung for a replacement! WHEN DOES A CONTRACT BECOME NULL AND VOID? I signed a 24 month contract for which I would shell out approximately $80 per month in return for a WORKING device and mobile connection. So far only part of this contract has been fulfilled. How much longer does this need to go on! Never had a problem with Optus, but this is an absolute joke!

Re: FAULTY PHONE from Day 1. Replaced with a refurbed FAULTY PHONE. Told to return for a an

Steph_C

Sorry you feel this way @Mpow, completely understand how frustrating this would all be! The handsets do need to be sent off to be assessed to find the cause of the fault, before we can determine what the best course of action is. How's it all going now? If you still need to follow up on what's happening with the handset please send through your mobile number, DOB and boomarang ref via PM.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Re: FAULTY SAMSUNG S7 PHONE. Replaced with a refurbished FAULTY PHONE.

Mpow
Extremely frustrating Steph! It isn't going well now at all. I am still waiting to receive my second return satchel and preparing myself and my business for 2 weeks without a proper smartphone. I understand the issue but the way in which Optus tries to distance themselves from Boomerang. At the end of the day Optus is responsible for this process. Surely something faster than 2 satchels (1 of which is a standard road only satchel!). How about an express courier? Too expensive? That is one issue. The main issue is the fact that I have, and never will have, a NEW WORKING PHONE. The original one I received never worked properly. I got sent a REFURBISHED phone (not new) which also didn't work. Now I am going to get ANOTHER SECOND HAND PHONE, that may or may not work. Being in a 24 month contract, good luck to me seeing out the contract with a functioning phone! Is there any way I can cancel the contract when I return the phone? Surely the contract can't be valid? Optus is not providing what they said they would.

Aman_B

So sorry for the issues you've had with your service @Mpow. Are you able to PM us your mobile number, full name, date of birth for ID and I can chase the satchel for you. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Mpow
No need to chase the satchel up. It was only ordered (and hopefully sent) yesterday. It took 3 days last time. My question is.. Can I cancel my contract once I have sent back to faulty phone and it has been received by Boomerang/Optus? I didn't sign a contract expecting a SECOND HAND phone!! I could maybe understand if I had had a working phone for some time and was in second hand condition when the fault occurred and it was replaced with a second hand BUT at NO STAGE will I have a NEW, WORKING SAMSUNG S7. Optus provided me with damaged goods from Day 1. So again, my question is.. Can I cancel my contract once I have sent back to faulty phone and it has been received by Boomerang/Optus? The time and effort I have wasted dealing with this should be enough to cover the contract!

Aman_B

Sorry @Mpow,the contract can't be cancelled because of this. As per the terms of the contract we'll repair your handset and or replace it. The refurbished handsets are approved by the manufacturer and has same warranty as a brand new handset. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Solution

Mpow

What a joke. The refurbished phones are "approved by the manufacturer" even though they sent me a faulty refurbished phone!!

Add the hours it has taken (and is still taking) to get this sorted. This has been an absolute NIGHTMARE! I signed a contract for a phone not for this s__t!!!

I guess there is no chance for me in this case but if nothing else, I hope it shines a light on this HORRIBLE SERVICE for others reading this thread!

sameproblem

Make a complaint to the ombudsman. Optus only responds to complaints when they get are contacted by the ombudsman.

Re: FAULTY PHONE from Day 1. Replaced with a refurbed FAULTY PHONE. Told to return for a an

lindaaelleenn

Oh my god this is happening to me right now 😫 signed on to a new plan with an iPhone 8+ and when it arrived had chips in the screen so obviously not a new phone I am beyond pissed off with the service cause I’ve been a loyal customer for 10 ish years myself now I’m worried they will send me another second hand phone I just wanna cry I was supposed to get a new bloody phone not a second hand one 😭😭😭😭 how can they keep doing this to their loyal customers?!? Is it so hard to send a brand new phone like they’re supposed to?!  Why should I have to pay the money for a second hand phone 😭😭😭

[ Edited ]
MajorRyderr

Customer resolver team

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
76 Kudos
73 Kudos
63 Kudos
55 Kudos
49 Kudos